AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked this question on the Flat Panel and Projector forums with no success. I guess a lot of people don't connect their PC's to their plasmas TVs and front projectors.

I'm looking at the Panasonic Plasma TC-P65S1, and the Epson 6500UB projector. Before purchasing either of these I want to be sure that there is some mode where I will get the clarity of a computer monitor using the HDMI ports. I purchased a Viewsonic 42" LCD TV some time ago, and was very disappointed with the picture quality with a computer feeding the HDMI input. The pixels were all smeared at 1920x1080. It was not even close the clarity of a computer monitor. They did later do a firmware update that fixed this, but it took months and many calls. I don't want to go through that again.

My easy test is this, if the dot over the "i" in the menu item "File" in Internet Explorer is crystal clear with one pixel lit (actually black), then we are fine. If not, then it is using video processing, and blending pixels.

Anyone want to test theirs with their PC, and let me know what you see?

Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I've been using my computers with HDTV displays for a long time. Of course, you may be having issues with a particular video card. I'm using ATI Radeon 4850s right now, but I've used various ATI and nVidia cards (ATI 2600XT, nVidia 8600, ATI 3650, and a few others) without any significant problems.

I have 3 displays hooked up to my computers and other HDMI devices using an Octava HDMI matrix switcher: Sharp 32" LCD, Sony 52" XBR6 LCD and Sharp XV-Z20000 DLP front projector, all 1080p. Clean as a whistle, every one of them, from the 4850 output. The 4850 also does HD audio over HDMI.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
I thought I responded in the projector forum (I know I did to a question like this), but every projector I've owned (Toshiba MT700, InFocus IN76, BenQ W5000 and Planar 8150) have been able to display 1:1 pixel mapping without doing anything special beyond disabling any overscan setting.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 /forum/post/17054252

I thought I responded in the projector forum (I know I did to a question like this), but every projector I've owned (Toshiba MT700, InFocus IN76, BenQ W5000 and Planar 8150) have been able to display 1:1 pixel mapping without doing anything special beyond disabling any overscan setting.

You did. I saw yours after I created this post. Thank you for your help!

Another issue I didn't mention is how to get the video and sound sychronized? I'm using Windows 7 Media Center Edition.

Michael

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I suppose by today's standards my Sony AW15 (1280x720 format) is old news. It's clear as can be when I feed its native resolution. It was ~ $1,000 back when it came out so I found it a suitable upgrade from my Sony VPL-VW10HT which was quite a chore to get setup with its 1366x768 native panel.

Keep in mind that you want to feed the PJ with its native resolution and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Projectors "seem" to be much better in this regard than LCD TVs. Probably due to them being more from a "PC/graphics" lineage. They seem to retain their PC compatibility roots, like turning off overscan. Where as LCDs all too often appear to just assume everybody's using normal TV stuff and won't care/notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts