AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...

I just ordered these parts and was wondering what you guys think and would like suggestions or comments please...

I live in Alaska so prices include shipping...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 $167

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H $90

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600Mhz 8Gb (4X2Gb) $175

Coolmax RM-750B $65

Radeon HD 5750 $154

DSI 2.4 GHZ Wireless RF Keyboard FK760 $59

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB $57

PIONEER BDR-205 $205

Totaled to be $972...

This does not include the case...

But what do you guys think of these specs?

What case would you guys recommend?

Thanks All

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You might want to state what you want to do with your HTPC. If you have ripping DVD's or Blu-ray more space will come in handy. For the $25 more I double your storage is a pretty good deal.

If your sticking with a MATX size then the motherboard makes sense...If a full ATX will fit in your case then you might consider a motherboard without onboard video.

I have the a AMD 965, it's a very fast chip...Runs a little hot. For not too much more you might consider an i5 that would not run nearly as hot.

Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
Do you really need 8 gb of ram?

I own several computers and only have 8 gb in one... only because it runs several virtual machines. Even then, I may hit 6 gb of use.

I agree with the other guy, drop amd and go intel. I built my first intel system in (forever?) last month and love it! Although, my main htpc is an amd 4200.

I normally do all the heavy lifting on my main computer in the compter room... move all files via a gb lan to a server. From there I play them on the htpc. This works well... I don't do much on my htpc, except for updates and such. Depending on how you want to use your htpc, you may buy an external or internal hd with the money saved from the ram. ALLWAYS need more storage. lol

I have a wireless keyboard/mouse on my htpc, but it sucks... I'd much rather use the remote I purchased with it. The remote works with windows media center and it rocks... click the middle button, it turns on... search for the movie you want to watch and hit play. No fussing with a keyboard and mouse.

Far as a case, I like the small cases... they look cute. Far as working on them, no thanks. I had a small case, gave it away and now I have a regular tower... much better for me... others, I'm sure, will disagree. Does not look that bad, all black. Don't notice when the lights are out (removed the led functions on the front... never need those anyway).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I won't get into what I think an HTPC is but i'll make these points:

1. Cool and Quiet is the key especially in a Home Theater Cabinet..or the system being in-sight. Ditch that Proc/Mobo and go with an I3/M-ATX H55 motherboard combo. Now if your concerned about the 24fps issue with this setup..i'll still recommend it but add the ATI card.

2. Did you read the reviews on that Power Supply? They suck. Go with a corsair 400-500 watt power supply. They run extremely cool and quiet and their performance I believe the best. I've used all of them with the exception of the 1000 watter and never once had a failure or performance issue.

3. 8GB's of memory for HTPC use is total overkill. You would have to run a 64bit OS just to take advantage of anything over 4GB's, that's not to say you can't run 64bit as an HTPC OS..I do..however I need the memory as i'm driving 5 Media Center extenders. Just be aware of that fact.

4. Harddrive...they do make noise as well..if noise is the issue try the Samsung 1TB...very quiet..great performance.

5. You plan on controlling the HTPC with a Keyboard/Mouse? What about a remote? I have the Harmony One..and it works great but you need to make sure either the case you buy has an IR receiver or you may need to buy one.

Other than that i'm a huge fan of Silverstone and Zalman HTPC cases. I use both and they are great. I'm also a fan of the Origen HTPC cases as well, used them but they are expensive for what you get.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoulu /forum/post/18146044

Hey all...

I just ordered these parts and was wondering what you guys think and would like suggestions or comments please...

Why did you order the parts and then ask for feedback? I don't know, but that seems a little backwards to me.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/18146857

Why did you order the parts and then ask for feedback? I don't know, but that seems a little backwards to me.

Thanks for point that out...I didn't notice that, yes...it's a little late now.

Mike

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18147083

Thanks for point that out...I didn't notice that, yes...it's a little late now.

Mike

And it seems to happen all the time here for some reason. Usually the poster gets defensive and argues how the suggestions aren't as good or don't fit their need as compared to what was already ordered.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
You are going to want a Intel clarkdale CPU and a H55/57 board. You'll get HD bitstreaming without the need for a discrete video card.

And as has been said 8gb of ram is overkill. I use 2gb and it's plenty.

PSU is overkill and not the greatest quality.

Overall a lot of poor choices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you all...

never to late to cancel...

i went with 4GB and a corsair 500 watt and a 1TB hdd

as for the processor and mobo... I was unable to cancel that...

yes i am going to buy a harmony controller for it.

thanks again all

·
Registered
542 Posts
My personal exp is that I had an AMD phenom and it ran so hot... the HTPC was way to loud to sit under the TV so I went with an intel set up. It is whisper quiet now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.