AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an HTPC and I want to buy a projector. If I am buying a projector mainly to watch video should I pay the extra money to buy a 1024X768 or should I get a 800X600 all other things being equal (lumens, dlp, etc.). In other words will I notice a difference between the two different resolutions in video?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wino-

This is a great question, to which my reply may start some controversy. I recently upgraded my older XGA projector to a SVGA model (HP's sb21). I have found that the newer SVGA unit gives me better results than my older projector. This is mostly due to the higher lumens and contrast ratio of the sb21, but I was surprised at how great the image looks. Of course, the image will look better with an XGA projector, but keep in mind that DVD resolution is LESS than that of SVGA projectors. So anything over SVGA is overkill, in my opinion. Also keep in mind that nearly any projector will throw a great image (if you've never had one before).

Mant

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Not all projectors throw a great image. Many have problems with contrast, low light output, poor brightness uniformity, and inaccurate color reproduction.

Concerning resolution, keep in mind that while DVD resolution is 720x480, the extra resolution of an XGA v. SVGA projector will go a long way towards reducing or eliminating the screen-door effect of a digital projector.

There's a pretty good article about this at projectorcentral.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
All else being equal higher rez will make a better picture... This is especially applicable to SVGA as the 16:9 portion of a SVGA projector will be 800x450 thereby discarding 30 lines of rez from the 856x480 decoded DVD signal present on an anamorphic display....

Of course if opther factors like lumens / CR are put into play then its all relative... I have a very happy and trouble free couple of years with a Davis DL450 clone (probably findable for less than 1K now) that was a great starter projector... I currently use a 1365x1024 LCoS machine with anamorphic lens and am watching how the 1920x1080p SXRD gets reviewed as it hits the street in the coming month / year....

With High Rez sources like the T2 WMP9 disk coming out higher rez display gets more important...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.