AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the process of completing my HTPC. The PC is 90% complete I just need a new video card. For my setup I'll be using a projector and I am 95% sure it will be a Mitsubishi HC4000. I am looking for guidance on what video card and AVR to snag. I have seen a few threads here and there regarding HDMI handshaking issues with AVR's and such. I'm looking for a rather capable video card as gaming will also be done on this HTPC. Ideally I need the card to be able to pass the HDMI audio to my AVR without issue, from what I can gather getting 7.1 (or higher) from the PC to the AVR is best done through the video cards that have that capability. If anyone has any suggestions I am all for it.

Note:

I have no real brand loyalty when it comes to video cards, in the past I have used ATI. I would like to try Nvidia just for a goof if its a good enough idea. Same for AVR's I have experience with HK's, I like what I can read about the newer Onkyo's and the newer Pioneers seem to be pretty nice as well. Money is always a factor......

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I am having very good luck with a EVGA Nvidia GT 545 and a Denon AVR-591 attaching to Panny 37" LED. Works with the receiver on or off (HDMI Standyby Pass through).

I am also using the same GT 545 GPU on my HTPC with a Denon AVR-2112ci.. I can't give specific guidance on that combination because I have a DVDO Iscan DUO VP in the midlle but it is going out from GT 545 through the Duo to a Mits WD-82837. I have no reason to believe it would not work straight through. I use the DUO VP as both a switching hub and a CMS/Scaler.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Almost any card will work. I'm using an older 9500 GT and it works great. Note that if you use an Nvidia card you may need a cable to attach from the mobo's spdif header to the card itself to get hdmi audio output. Not a big deal really, you can make one or get one off ebay for $2 if needed. I just made one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an HC 3800 and have used two ATI cards with no issues at all, i used to have a HD 5670, and now i have an HD 6870.

My set up is this:

PC with ATI 6870 - Pioneer VSX 1120 - HC 3800

Video and audio passes without problems even Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio, i even used HDMI to start instalation of my OS with success

1 - 4 of 4 Posts