AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm starting to spec out my first HTPC (yay) but I haven't been able to confirm that I can do PVR functionality from my B expressvu box just yet (including guide, etc). What I'm hoping is that I can use SnapStream to do it all but its the tuning part I'm a bit confused about.

For simplicity sake how about I just lay out the equipment and my questions:

Goal: one box for DVD, Music and Live/Recorded TV management/playback

Equipment: HTPC for DVD playback and music storage, Bell ExpressVu 5100 receiver (the PVR model, go figure I'll be replacing the PVR part of it...)

Questions:

1. Controlling the dish receiver: IR Blaster via SnapStream? Any recommendations for the blaster or things to be looking at here

2. Video/Audio feed from dish receiver: Any recommendations on a good video capture card that can take the input from this guy. It has TOSlink and analog for audio (though it says digital for dolby dig only... not sure aboutg that) and s-video or composite for video.

3. EPG: Are there guides that I can configure snapstream to use for bell expressvu (I know most american carriers are covered but us canadians always seem to be left out). I gather snapstream.net is US only and I'd have to link a 3rd party one via a URL but how good/bad is that integration?

4. Snapstream itself: Any recommendations for/against (been reading a bunch so kinda getting the feel for this part) but always willing to read more.

Kinda off topic:

5. ATI All in wonder 9800: too much card? Should I save some cash and go with something else (I liked the built in ati remote support in snapstream).

6. M-Audio Revolution? Nah don't worry, lots of threads about sound cards, no nead to start another :).

Thanks in advance, any and all info on HTPC issue in canada (Toronto specifically) always welcome.

Sean

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Hey there, I can answer you on the EPG part. Snapstream can work for BEV listings if you use a utility like XLMTV to download the listings and the XMLTVImport utility (provided by intrepid end users on the snapstream forums). I just last night got this working properly with Shaw regular cable (could work for digital but I didn't want to mess with IR blaster and that). Most of the channels I record are NBC and CBS, HGTV, TNN etc. which are all fine through regular cable.

Check out the snapstream.com forums though, you'll find many of the answers on the EPG there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.