AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost pushed the buy button. I know I am missing something. I am trying to build a good but cheap htpc. I have a Western Digital media player that I want to replace for picture quality (comments please). Please review these hardware items.

Cheap gigabyte case ($20) newegg.

($88). Intel BOXDG43GT LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX 10 channel analog audio ports that support Intel High Definition Audio. GMA X4500 GPU has both DVI and HDMI outputs. s/pdif (optical) out.

($52)Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300

($40)LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Reader Model iHOS104-06 - OEM.

I have W7, (2x2) 4 gb DDR2, 450W PSU, 1.5 TB HDrive, 50" Panny S2 plasma AND a Western Digital media player that I want to replace with this HTPC (comments please). I also have a soundbar for the Toslink digital audio.

I plan to use the Windows media center as the player. I am not sure about the limitations of playing blu-ray. If there is I would rip them to .mkv first.

I am asking, begging, for some feedback. jc tampa

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliannecarol /forum/post/19557949

I almost pushed the buy button. I know I am missing something. I am trying to build a good but cheap htpc. I have a Western Digital media player that I want to replace for picture quality (comments please). Please review these hardware items.

($88). Intel BOXDG43GT LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX 10 channel analog audio ports that support Intel High Definition Audio. GMA X4500 GPU has both DVI and HDMI outputs. s/pdif (optical) out.

($52)Intel Celeron E3300 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80571E3300

($40)LITE-ON Black 4X BD-ROM 8X DVD-ROM 32X CD-ROM SATA Internal 4X Blu-ray Reader Model iHOS104-06 - OEM.

I have W7, (2x2) 4 gb DDR2, 450W PSU, 1.5 TB HDrive, 50" Panny S2 plasma AND a Western Digital media player that I want to replace with this HTPC (comments please). I also have a soundbar for the Toslink digital audio.

I plan to use the Windows media center as the player. I am not sure about the limitations of playing blu-ray. If there is I would rip them to .mkv first.

I think that chipset is borderline for 1080p.

You would likely need to add a video card like the ATI 5450 for another $50.

Why not just get a i3 system where the onboard GPU can handle 1080p and no additional video card is needed? I think in the end it would be cheaper and you would end up with better technology (meaning 2010 vs 2009).

And this is coming from someone who has a C2D HTPC. If I had to build a "cheap" HTPC right now I would definitely go with the i3/H55 combo.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliannecarol /forum/post/19557949

WMC doesn't have Blu-ray playback software; Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater is WMC-compatible. And, as another user suggested, you'll need a video card. If you shop around, you should be able to find one for under $30 (after rebate).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe this is a better choice:

$55.(ar) Mushkin Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC3 10666

$88. ASRock H55M/USB3 R2.0

$100. Intel Core i3-530

I was hoping to re-use my DDR2 memory but DDR3 prices are softening. Good advice on Newegg Cyber Monday

re: Blu-Ray playback via HTPC. Any recommendations for a remote (wireless) controlled software program for HTPC?

As far as the Western Digital Media Player. I expect (hope) the HTPC will provide better audio video but I will miss the simplicity of the remote/software interface of the WDMP.

Any other thoughts? ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.