Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sob story:
It is with a mixture of regret and relief that I have concluded that the 34XBR910 is out of my league, and that I don't want to invest in a lower-end HDTV at this time. So, I'm left with a c. 1980 25" 4x3 television that is dark and blurry, looks more like an armoire than a television, and has nothing but an RF modulated input. Clearly, this isn't good for someone who has built a great HTPC.

I'm looking at EDTVs, which I believe are those TVs that do 480p via component input.

Can most consumer EDTVs be successfully driven by a Radeon-(9600)-equipped HTPC?

I'm looking at things like the Sony KV-32FS100 ( http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...8043&oid=58643 )

Will I be able to use PowerStrip to control timing and overscan in order to achieve a nice picture with sets like these?

Any recommendations for a great 480p CRT to combine with an HTPC?

TIA,

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If you are sort of downgrading from the XBR910, why not get the 30" widescreen Monivision through the Powerbuy? Less than $1000 shipped, I believe (much less if you don't include VisionBox). It would be much better than the Sony FS100.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there are a couple of reasons:

a) I don't want to put more than $700 into a stop-gap set while I await the day when I can afford the best HDTV display on the market (frankly I'd rather keep it under $500 if that can be done and still have decent 480p from the computer)

b) I don't want to own a Monivision due to reliability concerns

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
If the TV can do 480p, and is designed to work with, say, a progressive DVD player, then I would think the ATI dongle would probably work OK. The picture would probably be inconveniently overscanned though, unless you want to start playin around in the TV's service menu, or can drop the resolution down to say 440p or 400p via Powerstip (which might be possible), which will make the interface even harder to use. Even at 480p, I have difficulty accessing certain menus on my computer interface.

I sympathize with your dilemma. The only way I was able to afford a 34XBR800 for myself was through some tough negotiation on a damaged unit. After several visits and some arm twisting the dealer finally agreed to a price which was more than half off the retail and 12-month 0% financing.

Have you considered contacting any industrial/educational A/V dealers to see if they may have some kind of affordable hybrid computer/video monitor that might suit your needs better?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not concerned with the ability to see Windows UI elements on the display. This is pure home theater PC I'm working with, controlled via IR remote. When I need to see/interact with Windows I use VNC ( http://www.tightvnc.com ) from a different machine.

While your response is encouraging, I wouldn't call it definitive, since it seems you're guessing to some extent. Perhaps my question may be better suited to the HTPC forum, since there are probably very few in the Direct View forum who have worked on the subject of 480p via component outs of a radeon to an EDTV.

Concerning the notion of contacting an industrial/educational AV dealer, I may do that. In fact, I was working with one such dealer on a possible Monivision purchase. That's when I heard the first hand reports on their reliability and service record. The dealer was ready to give me a great price on a Monivision, so perhaps they have something else to offer that has a better track record. Unfortunately, whatever they may be able to offer, they aren't up to speed on the technical details of HTPC-> TV, so I still have to rely on avsforum for the research.

Thanks for your response, ADU... I was beginning to become tempted to bump. You're very good to read past the first page of threads.

Regards,

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
No problem. I'm glad folks like kharvel are willing to put their 2c in as well though. I'd hate to think someone would make their purchasing decisions based solely on my silly misguided advice. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
The Sony KV27FS100 is an analog T.V. as far as I know, sony doesn't have an EDTV. The fs100, fs210, and fv310 are all analog. where as the hs510 and xbr910 are high def, Joe.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the supposed EDTV capability of the Sony is indeed bunk. Circuit City lists a whole bunch of TVs on their website as having "Analog or EDTV" displays.

I have no idea what analog means in this context.... People seem to use it as the opposite of 480p/EDTV.

The one 480p screen that I did see in Circuit City this weekend is the Samsung TXN3245FP. Ironically, that one doesn't have any "Display Type" listed in Circuit City's specs.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think analog refers to 640x480i max resolution whereas EDTV refers to 720x480p max resolution. Thus, if the TV supports vertical squeeze and has 480p capability, it is an EDTV.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, kharvel. Hmmm, I wonder if the Samsung does support vertical squeeze. I thought 640x480p was considered EDTV.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
640x480p IS EDTV (since it is 480p). It is simply the 4:3 EDTV resolution whereas 720x480p is the 16:9 EDTV resolution. That is my theory, anyway.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although the CC manager and I agreed that the Sony wasn't displaying progressive, he told me that he was sending a 480p signal via the component inputs. I assumed that (a) he was correct and (b) the TV was interlacing the video.

Whatever the case, the progressive Samsung beat all the Sony non-HD 32" TVs hands down -- not a close call at all. Odd that they're in the same price range. I guess that Sony name is worth big bucks.

I also saw a $1850 34XBR800 floor model that may have put me back in the game for an HDTV.

I wish that buying a TV were as simple as building a stable HTPC ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.