AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom wants to record HD TV. A LOT of it. Terrabytes worth.

Most of it is PBS, a small amount on other stations. She doesn't want no for an answer.

Quality is not a uber concern. She won't be able to tell the difference from 1080i to 1080p. She just wants something decent and easy to use.

Questions:

1: Should I build an HTPC? Or buy some other type of device? Remember she wants almost unlimited recording space.

2. What Tuner card? Is there a card that will let her watch something on her HD box while recording on the HTPC on another channel? Does she have to pay for two "boxes" ?

·
Registered
13,150 Posts
Well there aren't any station that broadcast in 1080p so you are good to go there.

You need a 2 tuner card which can record one and watch one (or record 2 and watch none).

For simplicity I would look for a very large HTPC case that can hold 4-5 hard drives and stock up on 3TB drives as she needs them. They are easy to add and you should buy them as she needs them and not all at once as the price drops considerably every 6 months or so.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Easy to use? Determine if Mom can handle a HTPC, mine wouldn't. But she can a satellite DVR.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
The first question I would have is, how does she receive her TV signal? Antenna, cable, FIOS, or satellite? The answer will dictate what your need. A Ceton's not going to do her much good if she has DirecTV or Dish or an antenna.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.