AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is beating a dead horse, but I searched and could not find the answer. I personally have a pair of Harmony One remotes, but I have just built an HTPC for a friend on a budget and need to find a universal remote that's HTPC friendly that's not as expensive as the One. It needs to control a Samsung Plasma, a receiver, and maybe a BD player (they aren't going to use the PS3 as the BD player). I thought maybe a 700 refurb would work but I need someone to confirm it will. I have seen some limitations on some of the remotes below the One, and I just need some confirmation on which ones will control the right number of devices.

I should mention I already have the IR receiver - I had a few laying around, and i have a ton of the Rosewill remotes, but his wife is about to have her baby and she's going to be home a lot, and I have to make sure the WAF factor is high.

Refurb is fine.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Harmony 200 will control 3 devices, including HTPC (no activity buttons) for about $10 on sale.

Harmony 300 will control 4 devices including HTPC (1 activity button) for about $15 - $20 on sale.

Harmony 600, 610, 630, 650 will have an LCD and HTPC (4 activities) for about $40 on sale.

What's your friend's budget?

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Slight correction. The 600 & 650 are 5 device (unlimited activities), and the 700 is 6 or 8 device depending on software. The 200/300 can only do one activity, so I wouldn't recommend for HTPC and bluray. If your friend wants something like the One on a budget, the 600/650/700 is the way to go.

The 610 was discontinued many years ago, and I've never heard of a 630.

I personally use the $8 RCA RCRP05B. It's far more programmable than harmony.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy cow, I'm going to look at that RCA right now! Thanks for the posts, appreciate it.

So the RCA is basic function, no macros. That might actually be better for them anyway. My One had a low WAF, she couldn't get it through her head that you have to point the remote at the devices and do nothing until everything is on.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
I have about 30 activity macros on my RCA and at least a dozen devices. Basic isn't a word I would use to describe it, although you can certainly use it that way of you like. One of the many cool things about the RCA is that you can load a patch to make macros run incredibly fast. I have some macros up to 15 steps or so that finish in about a second. And the PC software is amazing, far better than harmony.

·
Registered
15,374 Posts
Check out the wiki in my signature, especially the RM tutorials. The JP1 forum at hifi-remote.com is the best resource besides the wiki.

The key thing to understand is that this particular RCA model is a JP1 remote and has all the capabilities of other JP1 remotes (5 functions per button: short press, long press, double press, shifted, and double shifted, nested macros, unlimited devices via multiplexing, fast macros, state tracking, flags, conditional branching, key moves, key copies, device specific macros, global macros, recursion, custom devices, custom protocols, learning, signal analysis tools, pronto hex export/import, key group mapping, offline backup/restore, huge code library and device library and free unlimited community support).

Also realize that this model and the P05BR are the only RCAs that are JP1. So you must get one of those 2 models. Other RCA remotes are not made by UEI and are completely worthless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.