AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the problem as of 5 days ago the system started booting every morning at 3:20 or so. I've had the system for about 8 months and have not installed anything for about 2 months, yet it started rebooting every morning, so I restored a backup. Still it rebooted, I disconnected the UPS and Network cable, again it rebooted. I check the BIOS and its all set to disabled, so it should not wake on anything, any ideas, as I'm lost I've covered everything that should be able to reboot a system without an answer.

Thanks,

ERIC

· Registered
1,500 Posts
I had to remove my AVG antivirus from my MCE machine because it caused this same issue. Is there something that checks for an update every night? It could also be something odd, i.e. my remote for another piece of equipment will restart my HTPC. Not sure what would be doing it every night at the same time though. Did you check your event viewer under control panel>>>administrative tools?

· Registered
6,664 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 /forum/post/0

check the event logs in XP to see whats causing it.

Rob

When the OP said "boots" I assumed this was from an off condition, and I don't think a log would show that. But if he meant resume from standby or hibernate, that would be entirely different, and a log would might show that.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its off/off when it occurs so no logging (however this is how I can figure out when it occurs), there is no watch at a given time in BIOS and all the resume on options are set to "Disabled".

Thansk,

ERIC

· Registered
1,620 Posts
Some Bios's allow you to power from an offstate via NIC, Modem or USB check if any of these are set in your BIOS. It may be your NIC maybe receiving a signal to power on . What is the Brand and Model number of your board?

Rob

· Registered
409 Posts
Man this must be something being controlled by MS headquarters! Only reason why I say this is that my MCE box has started to act up this way for the past week or so. I check the logs and sure enough ~3:20 its on. I do see that MCE has updated its guide at about that time so I'm thinking thats the reason why it came out of S3. But it should go back to suspend right after.

I looked at the events and saw it had/still has issues with updating the internet time and the only way for me to have it update correctly is by either rebooting or stop/start the service.

I also made sure that nothing was trying to connect to it via the wifi card and keeping it alive that way.

So if anyone has a fix please do share because its just annoying!

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No atuo-updates are set to manual, I actually updated the BIOS this weekend and again restored a previous backup from before this occurred, yet at 3:20AM the system started up and was running. Also I shutdown the PC not suspend it it so that it should not be able to be woken up at all (All remote wake on options are Disabled). Its the more annoying and energy wasting thing, I'm going to check the BIOS again tonight before I go to sleep and also pull most of the USB cables out and see it happens for a 9th time.

ERIC

· Registered
409 Posts
Eric:

While both our machines turn on at around the same time I guess our situations are different since my unit is in S3 but yours is powered off.

My desktop would do this on a complete power down but it would turn on a few seconds later. I discovered that I had a USB mouse that was going bad and on my system I have it enabled to wake up via USB but never figured that it would wake up from a power down.

I replaced the mouse and my desktop stays powered off till I power it back up again. So that may be an avenue for you to explore as well.

I do agree its more annoying than anything. I do wonder those for my situation if the MCE application is not allowing the PC to go back to standby because if I exit out of MCE it will suspend on its on (its set for standby in 15min) so that could be the problem and Ive seen some not so elegant solutions to this (close out mce before suspending the pc).

Thats what I get for trying to make a pc an applicance I guess
Good luck on your search for resolution. I'll continue to look as well but seeings as our problems are quite different I do appoligize for jumping in your thread.

· Registered
2,004 Posts
check the BIOS real time clock startup setting. Check it after the computer has been shutdown and don't let it boot into the OS. This is how many programs start the computer for a scheduled operation but the settings will be gone once it starts up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.