AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the different scaler cards for HTPC?

I've read up on the holo3d II card. What do folks think of this card and are there any alternatives??

·
Registered
814 Posts
Lots of alternatives, just depends on your requirements, horsepower of your HTPC, and of course the wallet.

Look at dscaler and compatible cards, probably the first flexible alternative that comes to mind is the PMS PDI Deluxe card. It is dscaler compatible, and offers svideo, composite, component (SD) as well as PDI interface.

However if you want hardware deinterlacing (DCDi) and pulldown, you are looking at the Immersive line of cards. Dscaler handles all of that in software, which has its pros and cons.

I have used both the H3DI and H3DII cards, they are both amazing cards which at the time nothing else compared in terms of clean inputs (PDI Deluxe supposedly is pretty good, but I have not seen it in action as of yet). That and DCDi is quite impressive, and using the native H3D application I have access to ffdshow filters as a bonus (so long as I do not use the HD Aux for my output)

-pd

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then what video cards provide the best scaling?

Projector is a JVC hx1 with 1400x788 resolution.

I was thinking of buying an HD LEEZA but wanted to evaluate if an HTPC might be able to provide the same picture quality.

Maybe I'm nuts?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Actually the H3DII with HD Aux card can provide a scaling solution independent of the video card, and from what I have seen is much cleaner than the Radeon via overlay or VMR7/9.

Albeit, trying to get the HD Aux to output custom res's can be a issue at the moment (at least for some users). Check out the Immersive forum's.

-pd

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Actually, the H3DII is a scaler card when coupled with the HD/AUX. It can completely bypass the video card.

I thought FFDShow was a filter, not a scaler. It uses the CPU to calculate the scaling? Hmm...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I plan to use possibly Holo3DII w/o the HDAux card, purely for deinterlacing archived movies on DVD and HDD, and outputting 480p through my Radeon's DVI, out to an external scaler.

This way, I avoid both the Radeon's and faroudja FLI2300's inferior scaling engines, but still keep superior deinterlacing (using HTPC) and superior scaling (using external).

Not the most cost-efficient way, I know, but since my HTPC will be my only source for DVD, PQ is paramount over cost. However, it still shouldn't be too expensive (as cost IS still a factor for me), since I won't have to invest in the HDAux or a high-end VP with superior de-interlacing (just a mid-end VP with superior scaling).

It all sounds pretty nifty in theory, but I'm still in the process of all of this and have not finalized whether this is a good idea or not.

If there were some way I could output the raw digital interlaced signal (480i) out of my HTPC's archived videos, then I could forego the Holo3DII altogether, and just invest in a nice VP for both deinterlacing and scaling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Who will you be buying the Holo3DII card from?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Is there no way to get an SDI card to OUTPUT SDI from your computer's software DVD player? I haven't tried it, but that would be your best bet to get high quality 480i output from the HTPC.

If you wanted to go that route, it would be cheaper to get a DVD changer with an SDI mod.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
But the Xcard has the Chroma bug.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Has anyone compared H3D/PDI Deluxe for external signals such as RGB, component and s-video?

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ElvisIncognito
The H3D/II is primarily a capture card, but it also provides Faroudja DCDi-based deinterlacing.
The Holo3D cards are NOT primarily capture cards - their native software has no capture features whatsoever. They are primarily intended to replace an outboard deinterlacer and scaler such as a Faroudja NRS, Focus Enhancements CS-1/CS-2, etc. and do their job extremely well. If you use DScaler or certain other software, you can capture the video, but it is not the primary aim of these cards.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Y'know.

I'm now running through a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mg video card and TheaterTek and the picture is stunning.

How would you compare this to the Holo3D card?

What would we do without /\\/$ Forum?

Probably have a decent 401k and a family.

No thanks.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bstrong
Y'know.

I'm now running through a Radeon 9800 Pro 128mg video card and TheaterTek and the picture is stunning.

How would you compare this to the Holo3D card?
I use my Holo3D-II for processing my S-Video and external HD sources (HD TV tuner, DVHS VCR, etc.). I use TheaterTek for DVD playback. This makes it kind of difficult to pass judgement, but my feeling is use the best tool for the job and I feel that the overall DVD playback package of TheaterTek is extremely difficult to beat - excellent picture quality and superb usability.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archos
Has anyone compared H3D/PDI Deluxe for external signals such as RGB, component and s-video?
Hi Archos

All our tests have shown the two cards to be identical at capturing analogue sources. This is unsurprising since both cards use the same Philips A-to-D chip and high quality connectors.

Obviously where the cards differ is with deinterlacing methods. PDI Deluxe (SweetSpot in Europe) uses DScaler, H3D can use it's onboard DCDi chip.

Have a read around of how good their respective methods are.

For further reading, as you are in Europe, have a look at pluggedin.tv/sweetspot

Regards

Alex

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.