AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's a topic that I don't see discussed very often so I thought I'd try and find out what you guys are doing, if anything.

With my HTPC I've provided my roommate and I all the media content we could ever ask for, and then some.

All I ask is that he leave the setup and configuration of the machine to me, since I built and own it. It's just easier that way. Yet still I find that when he as an issue he doesn't always come to me, and instead he attempts to tinker and solve his problem on his own.

So I just thought I'd find out what you guys may be doing to lock down your systems. For instance, is anyone doing anything to prevent minimizing media center? How about preventing external devices from being connected without authorization? (Mice, keyboard).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thing I had to do recently was disconnect the power and reset switches and install a switch on cable and run that out the rear of my case. He was starting to do hard resets for no apparent reason leading to corrupted files. Of course I taught him how to do all of that gracefully with the remote yet he still does that anyway.

So I guess we can also share horror stories from careless users here as well.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My solution to the problem would be to tell him if he does not listen to your reasonable requests then he can spend his own money to build his own htpc and password protect yours! He obviously does not have the proper respect for you or your equipment!

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 /forum/post/20794667

Yet still I find that when he as an issue he doesn't always come to me, and instead he attempts to tinker and solve his problem on his own.

For instance, is anyone doing anything to prevent minimizing media center? How about preventing external devices from being connected without authorization? (Mice, keyboard).

I'm not sure about preventing MC from being minimized, but you can use local security polices to restrict external devices.

Take a look at Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Local Security Policy. Then, expand the tree and look for User Rights Assignment and Security Options.

If that doesn't work, find a new roommate

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Couldnt you even create his own account with less privelages? I suppose you might have to double install some software but maybe not?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Just put a password on the windows login, its not very secure but it should be good enough to keep him from logging on and making changes. He can still access the media on the system through the network, which you can set up as read only. If you want to allow him direct access to the system, all you can do is set up a limited user account. Personally if he keeps screwing it up I would lock him out, and tell him to get his own toys. Another solution would be to put all the files on a separate computer that you use for NAS and DVR and only allow him read only network access to media files.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Given your roomie's doing hard resets, etc, best option for the sake of your HTPC's health and your sanity is to ban him from using the HTPC unless you're around. If he can't respect your wishes not to change settings, etc, then he sure as hell shouldn't be using your stuff.

Assuming you're too nice and still let your roomie continue using your HTPC, create a system image of the OS drive/partition on an offline external HDD so you can quickly put it back to rights in case he ever tampers with it. As mentioned, best to keep the actual media on a separate NAS/file server to minimize file corruption issues if he's prone to doing hard resets.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin /forum/post/20795606

Good one! I'll bet these tools help improve the WAF too.

If it's the wife using them, perhaps. Otherwise, I don't recommend them for the sake of harmony.

·
Registered
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawk79 /forum/post/20794667

he doesn't always come to me, and instead he attempts to tinker and solve his problem on his own.

I still think my post has the best answer to this.

Post #6.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20796472

When I saw this thread I thought u were going to ask how to hide the PlayBoy videos from your wife!

Have to rename them - How to series for automotive maintenance.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin /forum/post/20795068

Alternatively:

Or:

I think non-lethal is the way to go there.

I was thinking just a 3' piece of rubber hose, but then this IS 2011!!

BT

·
Registered
36 Posts
For my setup I created a password protected admin account and a standard limited account. During startup, the system automatically logs into the standard user account which needs admin approval to make any changes. You could probably go that route so that your roomate could use the htpc functions but if he wanted to tamper with anything he can't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts