AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this thread by stating I have read multiple threads on the HTPC topic, however, I have not been able to wrap my head around this...

I would like to dump the high cost of my Cable TV service and connect my entire house to an HTPC (or equal capability). I would like Live TV, DVR service, and access to my saved media. Here's what I have...

4 TV's spread throughout

Main PC (Win 7 x64 HP)

Xbox 360 Slim as a media extender (connecting saved media on my main PC to my main TV)

Time Warner Cable TV and DVR service (presently, I don't have entire house DVR, nor would DVR be required everywhere, just available or my Main TV)

It just seems that many of the 'guides' I have read overlook some elements, or I'm missing it. Here's a few main aspects of my present setup I enjoy...

1. Logistics: my TV service is connected to every TV via coax that is present in 99.9% of homes

I have seen so many options. The most recent is to use Raspberry Pi with XBMC. But how do I make this function throughout the house? Also, is my only option to wire my entire house with appropriate HDMI and/or USB cabling? Can I not somehow, use my existing coax?

2. Presentation/User Friendly: I enjoy many aspects of my TV service, including two different guides, scheduling, recording and maybe most important, immediate information about the content of the station I'm on, or browsing.

Is there a service that would provide me teh same...one guide for all TV programming and appropriate DVR scheduling?

3. Programming: I presently have every last station I could ask for, and then some, all on one guide

I would like all programming to be under one guide, have that guide available to every TV, and would like to be able to watch separate programming/media on different TV's. I'm confident I could use an HD antenna to get most of my local HD programming, but is it possible to get stations such as the Smithsonian channel, National Geo channel, ESPN, USA, Fox Sports channels, etc.

-Scott

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
HTPC at main TV

HD Homerun Prime

Extender or HTPC at other TV's

MOCA (ethernet over coaxial)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2  /t/1416156/htpc-setup-help#post_22141239

HTPC at main TV

HD Homerun Prime

Extender or HTPC at other TV's

MOCA (ethernet over coaxial)

Thank you @Sammy2- you provided an excellent option for hardware and connectivity.

What about programming; this seems to always be the aspect I cannot get straight answers to. How do I mimic my present cable TV provider, in terms of presentation of guides, content information, and popular stations?

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you plan on going Antenna only there is no way to get Smithsonian channel, National Geo channel, ESPN, USA, Fox Sports channels, etc. However Netflix at $7.99 has a lot of National Geographic content, some USA content . Not sure about Smithsonian though.

For ESPN you can use ESPN3.com instead ( if your ISP gives you access ). You will have access to ALL sporting events on ESPN, Live or On-Demand. However no Sportscenter, PTI, etc. For Fox Sports content you would have to sign up for different services depending on what you wan't to watch. MLB.tv, NBA, NHL etc. Only problem is that they have local team blackouts. But you can access local team games 90 minutes after they finish airing with MLB. NBA has permanent blackouts so no local team games, NHL has a 2 day blackout. You can use your Xbox to have access to all these services.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With that said, I'm trying to understand then the benefit of all this work (to have Live TV), and maintenance that goes along with it?. I guess the real benefit of an HTPC is just that...recorded movies and music.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
The guide is that provided by WMC which is similar to the WCE boxes provided by Uverse so for us it wasn't too drastic a change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts