AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what it is.

When I try to encode something to put on my PSP (and to get ready for the new PSP), my HTPC shuts off around 4+ minutes of encoding.

I first thought it was an overheating issue, so I took the lid off of the case...didn't help.

I'm thinking it's the ram, but according to all the System Info's I look at, all the Ram is there and working properly. I can even see it in System Mechanic.

I'm also still thinking Ram, because for some reason, when it shuts off, if I move the mouse, it comes back on. However, all my usernames and passwords to all the sites I visit are blanked, and I have to reenter everything.

Is it the Ram, or is there something else?

I've also run AVG's system scan, and it's found no spyware, malware, or viruses. I have Norton360 installed (BTW, it's much better than it used to be), so I haven't had any intrusions.

I'm at a loss. I admit I don't know much about the darn thing, but I know a little bit, and have looked around the internets for answers, and I keep coming up with the same results.

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Have you looked at the temps to see if its really not overheating? Taking off the lid on some pc's makes it worse depending how the air flow works.

Try installing something like speedfan or real temp and see what the temp gets to during encoding.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
try running some other software that maxes out your rig and see if it causes a crash. It could just be a software bug/conflict. I used to get crashes using flask encoder back in the day, and my system was stable for everything else.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17042442

Have you looked at the temps to see if its really not overheating? Taking off the lid on some pc's makes it worse depending how the air flow works.

Try installing something like speedfan or real temp and see what the temp gets to during encoding.

I took the lid off and I have a large 20" fan blowing on it, so overheating is kinda off the table.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/17042511

try running some other software that maxes out your rig and see if it causes a crash. It could just be a software bug/conflict. I used to get crashes using flask encoder back in the day, and my system was stable for everything else.

I'm not sure what else I could do. It happens on any encoding program I use. MeGUi, Nero, ArcSoft.....doesn't matter.

I guess I could try using the overclocking software from ATI?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I would guess on heat as well, as cosmos says, check the heatsink.

Even if it's just slightly wrong it could have a big impact.

I had a similar issue in my HFX chassi (rather non userfriendly heatsink) and it was a 30 degree difference after I redid the paste/mount installation.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 /forum/post/17044451

I took the lid off and I have a large 20" fan blowing on it, so overheating is kinda off the table.

That doesn't mean anything you need to see what the temps are to be sure, it will only take you 2 minutes to rule it out

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos2 /forum/post/17044473

If the heatsink is separated from the CPU then all the fans in the world won't keep it cool.

I didn't know this...thanks.

How do I check? I have the lid off, so I can see inside fairly clearly.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Download this
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...Temp_3.00.html

Then take a screen shot or just post here your temps while you are doing an encode, preferably after the encode has been going for a minute to give the cpu a chance to heat up.

This will also show where cpu usage as well.

Then once we figure that, you could have a seeting in yourt bios you need to adjust, there is a setting for a thermal limit where the pc will reboot if it gets to a certain temp. This could be set too low.

All this could be a waste of time and your temps could be fine, but this is the first thing you should rule out imo.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a similar problem. The PC worked fine under normal conditions, but it would freeze (image still on screen) or shut down after a few minutes under heavy load. I tested the RAM using Memtest and the Windows memory checker and never got any errors.

My temps were a bit high using the stock cooler according to SpeedFan , and they got several degrees better after I installed an after-market cooler. After the new cooler, it took longer to freeze up, but it still happened. Temps never went above 55C (E6600), so I don't know if heat was the problem.

I never did figure out the cause. I had built this PC 3 years ago, and just gave up on transcoding due to the crashes. About a month ago, I decided to rebuild it. New motherboard, graphics card and RAM. Now, it will run all night at 100% utilization without crashing. I suspect that there was some heat-related motherboard glitch, but I'll never know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17045065

Then take a screen shot or just post here your temps while you are doing an encode, preferably after the encode has been going for a minute to give the cpu a chance to heat up.

I tried, but when I hit the .exe file, it said "the processor detected is not supported".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/17044605

What is your CPU utilization while encoding?

If using DDR2 RAM are they a matced set of dims?

It appears that you have your BIOS set to start on Mouse or Lan activity.

I haven't forgot about your thoughts.....

I'm trying to tackle one at a time.

I think I do have it set to start on Mouse or Keyboard. Does that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
7,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwups1 /forum/post/17045168

I tried, but when I hit the .exe file, it said "the processor detected is not supported".

Here try this one

http://www.almico.com/speedfan439.exe

Thats speedfan, you can also go into your bios and see what the "thermal cpu limit" is. Or whatever it may be called it can have different names, but most BIOS have an option to kill your system if it thinks it will fry the cpu.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts