AVS Forum banner
  • Take part in a short activity and share your valuable opinion on new design concepts for AVSForum! >>> Click Here
  • Our native mobile app has a new name: Fora Communities. Learn more.

HTPC software for play back of downloaded videos?

1284 Views 17 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Suntan
I've been trying for a while to find a good piece of HTPC software that works well with downloaded videos. I've got about 6-700 gigs of content, but no good interface to play them back on my TV. If possible, I'd like to create playlists and have metadata support for tagging files. Media Center works alright but is a little basic for what I am trying to do. Everything else I've seen seems to be centered around PVR capabilities, which I don't require as I don't have cable TV. Can anybody recommend anything?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I like the combination of Media Player Classic and FFDShow - very simple interface, and decent picture quality. However you say Media Center is a little too basic for what you're trying to do, so this may be as well - what are you trying to do?
Well, I couldn't find a way to create playlists in Media Center, unless they are somehow tied in with Windows Media Player. Media Center also doesn't support metadata, which isn't the end of the world, but would be a huge plus for me as I'd like to be able to tag my videos so that I could search them, as the collection is growing rapidly.
Sorry, not a lot of retail software around that specilizes in orginizing illegal content.


-Suntan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/12856992


Sorry, not a lot of retail software around that specilizes in orginizing illegal content.


-Suntan

Wow...what a "prickish" statement. who's to say he hasn't spent months upon months downloading some real serious pr0n videos that he payed for?
Not a lot of retail software around that specilizes in orginizing LEGALLY COPIED content either.


MyMovies is great if you leave your DVD files "as is" - but I want to store a RIPped copy of a movie or TV show (from DVDs that I bought), keeping it under 800Mb or so, and still utilize the MyMovies interface, search capabilities, summaries, etc.


What about the shows that my TiVo captures- I can legally move those over to my MediaCenter, and if I'm going ot do that, I'm also going to compress them.


-mj
Look into J River Media Center for organising your media.


If your content was illegally downloaded, please read the forum rules. DO what you want, but you may risk your posts being deleted if you mention downloading from illegal sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit /forum/post/12860950


Look into J River Media Center for organising your media.


If your content was illegally downloaded, please read the forum rules. DO what you want, but you may risk your posts being deleted if you mention downloading from illegal sources.

Who said anything about illegal content? I know we passed the Patriot Act and the DMCA, but last time I checked this is still the United States of America and you guys should really tone down the McCarthy like accusations. As to the OP's original question, a playlist can be set up with MPC. As far as trying to organize and play content using a remote I'd suggest taking a look a SageTv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeXeD /forum/post/12860741


Wow...what a "prickish" statement. who's to say he hasn't spent months upon months downloading some real serious pr0n videos that he payed for?

Believe what you want. The reality is that every so often we get people here asking this and that about "downloaded content". 99.9% of the time it is illegal downloads, as there just isn't too many places to download legal content. With the exception of itunes, but then he wouldn't need seperate software for organizing.


The idea is to keep people from discussing and talking about illegal content because it is against forum rules. If the OP is talking about legal downloads, by all means correct me. And let us know where they are, as I am sure a lot of people would be interested.


As for porn, I don't know what the signup agreements are at those websites, but I doubt they allow you to keep copies offline. And if they do, it really doesn't matter how he organizes them as he will most likely go blind soon.


-Suntan
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862635


Who said anything about illegal content? I know we passed the Patriot Act and the DMCA, but last time I checked this is still the United States of America and you guys should really tone down the McCarthy like accusations. As to the OP's original question, a playlist can be set up with MPC. As far as trying to organize and play content using a remote I'd suggest taking a look a SageTv.

Actually this is the internet. There are a lot of people on these boards that would not consider this "the United States".


Anyway, it has nothing to do with being afraid of the man. It has to do with the rules we agreed to when we signed up to be a part of this website. That includes not talking about illegally downloaded content. If the OP is talking about legal content, that is fine he can write in himself and clear up the matter. Until then ask yourself - Where would you go on the internet to legally download "hundreds of gigs" of video that you could then have the option of playing back with any software you wanted?


-Suntan
See less See more
DVDLobby can organize all of the movie content, and open the appropriate player(s) for that content. You can determine which player is used, or use defaults. You're customization choice (which there are many, many of).

Choose your player: ZoomPlayer, TheaterTek, PowerDVD, ArcSoftTMT, MediaCenter, MediaPlayer and others Or, all of them if you just can't make up your mind.


What kind of files are you trying to open? Maybe we can provide some more specific recommendations. Don't need to know the source, just the technical file type (ISO / VOB / HDDVD / Blu-Ray, etc).


EDIT, ah what the heck, let's assume...


Starting from simple...

If you are playing HD DVD or Blu-Ray. Best player is ArcSoft and second alternative is PowerDVD.


If you are playing SD DVDs, TheaterTek if you are using MainLobby / DVDLobby with Zoom Player a close second. If you are not using ML / DVDL then choose your poison because they both kick butt for SD content. Zoom is a little tougher to get going initially but allows for more tweaking if you are obsessive. TT can be tweeked to, but is more tailered for great video with no tweeking needed. Both provide excellent automation integration capability, with TheaterTek getting the nod if MainLobby is in the mix.


There are tons of other formats so give some specfics.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/12862683


99.9% of the time it is illegal downloads

Would you care to elaborate on how you have you come up with that number (99.9%)? I find it interesting that someone who would never visit a site that has possible illegal content would be able to quantify what content is legal vs illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862748


I find it interesting that someone who would never visit a site that has possible illegal content would be able to quantify what content is legal vs illegal.

You don't need to be pedantic. First off, I never claimed to be holier than though. I rip copy prtected DVDs all the time, that is illegal where I live, I could care less. However, it is fine to talk about here because the forums don't say that it is against the rules.Talk of illegal downloads is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862748


Would you care to elaborate on how you have you come up with that number (99.9%)?

Would you care to provide a links to the location where you can legally download hundreds of gigs of videos for offline playback?


-Suntan
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/12862809


Would you care to provide a links to the location where you can legally download hundreds of gigs of videos for offline playback?


-Suntan


Therein lies the rub. Divx has a site with thousands of gigs of LEGAL videos for offline playback content. I'm 99.9% confident there are many other sites as well (I threw the bogus stat in just for you). Of course when you create a site that allows the sharing of content many people will post pirated video. Their site allows people to report pirated content and they immediately remove it (just like Youtube). You can feel free to go through and play policeman. This will be my last comment on the subject as I am sure the moderators are ready to close this thread. My only point is we should be careful about jumping all over people and making assumptions not based upon fact. Please leave the made up stats out of your future posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862635


Who said anything about illegal content? I know we passed the Patriot Act and the DMCA, but last time I checked this is still the United States of America and you guys should really tone down the McCarthy like accusations. As to the OP's original question, a playlist can be set up with MPC. As far as trying to organize and play content using a remote I'd suggest taking a look a SageTv.

1) Please learn to read. I made NO accusations. In fact my post could even be construed as a heads-up on how to not get caught... or at least not get your thread deleted.

I did even answer the OP's question and put in a word of caution IF the OP was openly admitting to doing something illeagal.


2) Please learn to comprehend what you just learned to read.


Thanks.
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862895


Therein lies the rub. Divx has a site with thousands of gigs of LEGAL videos for offline playback content.

Too bad that was your last post here, as I would have modified my previous request to ask you to post a link to sites that have hundreds of gigs of legal downloadable videos that are worth watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondoman /forum/post/12862895


My only point is we should be careful about jumping all over people and making assumptions not based upon fact.

So you know for a fact that he is talking about legal downloads... pot->kettle.


-Suntan
See less See more
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top