AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently setup an HTPC and have not decided on a front end yet.

My problem is finding a front end or 3rd party software that has a network control capability.

I may just get a remote control in the future (and recommendations on that would be great), but for now am looking for something that I can control from my laptop.

Currently am using the radmin trial, and it does the trick, however there is no option to adjust playlists etc without breaking full screen video.

I have found software like netremote, but I do not have a pocket PC, although I think that would be wicked awesome to have just for a remote. Media Portal has 2 possibilities, one is a PPC remote the other a web interface, although both are underdeveloped and no one on the MP forums knows much about either it seems. (Webinterface specifically says "For Scheduling TV recordings and more" But there is no documentation saying what more is.

I do not have a TV tuner card, I just want a nice control for watching movies, listening to music and stuff on my HTPC while I surf/chat on my couch with my laptop. Maybe even work up play lists, sort files etc.

TIA

·
Registered
120 Posts
I personally just use a wireless mouse or wireless remote with my HTPC. If you just want to control the whole pc via your laptop, then look into Tight VNC. I use it on my home server. That server has no keyboard, mouse or monitor hooked up to it, just a network line and power. With Tight VNC you can use a web broswer to connect and control your htpc. For free it works pretty well.

MI

·
Registered
996 Posts
Netremote will work on a PC. You do not need to have a pocket PC for it, although you lose the ability to send IR codes unless you also have a USB-UIRT hooked up.

I have been using my Dell Axim v50 to control my HTPC for a while, but have reverted to using a universal remote (MX-700), and now only use the PPC and netremote for music.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.