AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so excited about my new HTPC system and want to share my enthusiasm with you. Please share with everyone what your HTPC is running.

1. What Operating System do you use to run your HTPC?

2. What software do you use to play movies and music?

3. What do you use to record TV?

4. What software do you use to catalog and organize your movies?

5. What software do you use to catalog and organize your music?

6. Show us a screen shot.

I'll share as soon as I get mine up and running, can't wait.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Congrats on setting up your new HTPC. Enjoy it. Here's mine. It's really only used for SD DVDs in my living room/home theater. Occasionally, I use it for music.

1. Windows XP.

2. Xlobby 2, last free version, is the front end with a very minimal skin. Zoomplayer for movies. iTunes for music. Girder ties it all in with my MX-810 remote.

3. Comcast HD DVR box (I abandoned the "let the HTPC do everything under the sun" idea a long time ago).

4. DVD Profiler with the database imported into xlobby

5. iTunes. It's not tied into my xlobby skin at all. I've never found a really good remote controlled 10' interface for music, as my collection is so big that it's too slow to navigate with a remote and all the front ends out there. I break out the mouse and keyboard when I want to listen to music in my living room, which is rare. In the future, I'll probably have a samsung Q1, or something similar, for music.

6. Screen shot attached. That's all my front end is, dvd cover art. I wanted the most minimal front end possible that still looked good and made it easy for my wife, and any guests, to use. I didn't want a main menu of any kind since I have a remote with a fancy LCD. I hit "Watch a Movie", on my remote, and that's literally all that you see. Over the years, I've tried MCE w/ mymovies, Apple's front row, media portal, J. river, linux mythtv, beyond media and I keep coming back to my xlobby skin. The only thing that could possibly pull me away from my setup is CQC or Main Lobby, but I don't have that much money and I'm finally happy with everything (other than the fact that I can't play hi-def movies... oh well). Highlight the dvd cover, hit play on the remote. That's it, although I can pull up the movie plot/cast/etc easily.

·
Registered
294 Posts
XP

Meedio for Music. Theater Tek for Movies

SageTV

Meedio!

Meedio!

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/13012659

wow, COOL screen shot! can you do BR or HDDVD with Meedio?

There is a plugin called "PlayMee" which allows you to play any file and have that file be opened with any number of EXTERNAL players. Obviously Meedio won't play BR & HDDVD content natively, but you can use PDVD through Meedio. I just got the LG Combo drive, so I'll be testing stuff out, but others have posted similar setups

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
how you configure meedio? libraries - tv, movies? i dont get it...

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls /forum/post/13013282

how you configure meedio? libraries - tv, movies? i dont get it...

Meedio is based off of a library database. Movies are imported to the database w/ a tag-mask importer. Importer plugins have been written to import data from either imdb or movie-xml.com (written and supported by meedio folks, same as thetvdb.com). Other importers import Trivia, Quotes, Movie Mistakes, Trailers etc all into the library.

Then a "module" plugin launches and reads that library to show you all the fun stuff

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
yes, i imported, finally, after it would friggin hang on wav files..?!,

but now going to movie player it shows a jumble of files mixed with directories jungle...

i suppose theres some way of filtering tv series\\season\\episode 1 but i dont see where its supposed to be setup...?

is there a guide somewhere to read into this?

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/13014497

I just looked for Meedio and it's no longer available for download or sale

Look at my signature line!

Meedio was sold to Yahoo last year (or two years ago) - But since the sale has become even better and is continued at www.meedios.com .

The community continues to grow and the plugins for a so called "dead" product never end.

There are a few developers that are trying to emulate what meedio did with an Open Source product called MeediOS (os for open source - hence the website name) - but this product is still in the very early alpha stages.

This is the best starting place:

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_stewart /forum/post/13014497

I just looked for Meedio and it's no longer available for download or sale

try here, Meedios.com

WinXP

Movies: Theatertek / Music: none or Sonos, depending on how you look at it...

BTV & HDHR,HDWonder,150MCE
CQC
Sonos , but thats not really software as such...

no

well the thing is I really don't have a screen shot as such... I got tired of the whole 10' interface, with a billion menus to navigate just to watch something... so I went a different way, I really have no menus/front end on my HTPC, just a blank screen that waits for you to do something... by my couch I have a Samsung Q1, that has all the fancy control screens...

here are a few screens from my Q1:

Main Menu of sorts:

DVD picking screen:

when you do select the "I want to watch a DVD" option, the HTPC will also display the available DVD's, since I found having a bunch of people crowd around a 8' wide screen is much easier then having them crowd around a 7" wide samsung screen... so I can either select a movie from the Q1, or navigate the HTPC/big screen to choose a movie...

anyway, my one HTPC screen look like this:

but I admit, I suck at designing user interfaces, and I seem to also be graphically impaired... I just can't make them look good... but they have been working fine...

·
Registered
22 Posts

XP

meedio

-

meedio

meedio

'meedio on wheels' for carPC

·
Registered
294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crni /forum/post/13015879

XP

meedio

-

meedio

meedio

'meedio on wheels' for carPC

Hi crn ;-)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFGrayMatter /forum/post/13015340

Look at my signature line!

Meedio was sold to Yahoo last year (or two years ago) - But since the sale has become even better and is continued at www.meedios.com .

The community continues to grow and the plugins for a so called "dead" product never end.

There are a few developers that are trying to emulate what meedio did with an Open Source product called MeediOS (os for open source - hence the website name) - but this product is still in the very early alpha stages.

This is the best starting place:

Thanks! This is definitely a good looking product, I'm putting at the top of my list.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts