AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, hello and thanks for looking at this...

I'm new to the HTPC and gaming thing. I am building a semi-cheap PC to use for gaming in my theatre room. My audio setup is standard 5.1 with a decent Denon amplifier.

The motherboard I am using in the PC has onboard Intel HD Audio. My questions:

1. What is the best way to get surround sound from games?

I have a multi-channel input on the back of the denon receiver/amplifier. This is the same input for SACD or DVD-Audio. From reading a few posts, it seems as if this is the best way?

Check out this link (and scroll down to configuring 6 channel audio)

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-020642.htm

This seems a bit bizzare to me, using the line in, line out, and mic in as analog outputs to the multichannel input of the amplifier/receiver.

Am I on the right track here? Or am I way off?

I'm on the right track, then I take it I will need 3 - "Y" cables (1/8" to RCA Stereo) in order to complete this setup?

Also, I do not have a digital audio connection on this motherboard (which is fine, I'll use my dvd player with coax digital connection for movies).

Comments will be appreciated, and thanks!

-Bob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:

Looks like I have all the physical connections in place, and working. I have the 3 "Y" cables (3 - 1/8" mini jack to RCA's) to my amplifier.

I used the Intel HD Audio driver utility to "test" the speakers with a buzzing bee sound. This panned the sound from front left - center - front right - rear right - rear left - back to front left.

The only thing I didn't hear was the Subwoofer (which also has an analog connection).

Next question: What kind of games supports this "all analog" style of output?

Any help would be appreciated... thank you.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tested this setup myself and couldn't get it to work right. Although I only test Half-Life 2 on it. I could'nt get the sound to play right at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.