AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What could that be? Play Dark City DVD, the chapter that starts with a woman singing in a bar and you may see it easily. It is half way between her and the right border of the image. It appears as a sporadic tiny white/green pixels that appear for a frame or so about a second apart. It is like the film was worn a bit. Pausing the DVD makes the pixels freeze with the picture. During replay, pixels come at the same place/time.

Since the movie is dark throughout, such pixels are visible all the time. Try VE DVD, the animation at the beginning for speaker placement in the HT room. You may notice these on the speakers, if you look for them. Other movies exhibit it as well but it is harder to see on an average scene, they look as small film defects.

I have Radeon LE with the xxx93 drivers, ATI 4.1 player on windows 98, 866MHz Pentium (a typical config). I tried playing DVDs with another SW player, PC friendly (a rudimentary one), with the same results. So the ATI player is out of suspicion, it is perhaps the video card drivers. Tried tons of settings recommended on this forum but no success.

On the other hand, my old Sony 3000/Sony doubler combo looks solid in comparison. No pixels (not to mention the slightly better colors and less pixellization on dark backgrounds with smoother transitions, this is a different issue though).

Sorry for the long post, I still have faith in my HTPC. Any ideas?

GK

[This message has been edited by George Kouzev (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
345 Posts
There was an earlier thread on this type of problem; IIRC, they decided it was caused by overclocking the graphics card. If you're not OCing it, maybe the card is just getting too hot in your system. Try backing off the clock on the card (with Powerstrip or whatever) or adding extra cooling.

Also, I've personally had problems with big, obvious green blocks showing up. It seems to be a driver problem. Still haven't figured it out yet, so I can't suggest a fix.

------------------

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow. -Ivanova, B5

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dcheesi,

Thanks for the tip. Backing the clock from 148 to 126 MHz did it! Someone watching with me insisted that with this step the overall PQ improved as well. Not sure if extra cooling would do the trick since the bug comes up right a way after turning the HTPC on, i.e. while the heat sink is still cold. I am happy again ;=]

I should perhaps stick this thread in the Radeon FAQ.

GK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.