AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I built an HTPC with a Gigabyte motherboard (graphics card incorporated) an AMD 920 chip and two hard drives - one a Seagate 1 tb hard drive which uses the smaller connectors and the other a 500 gb hard drive which uses the older style connectors (big ribbon cable)

I had initially installed xp 64 bit, but when it wasn't supported I installed Vista on top of it.

The screen on start up asks which operating system I want to run, but when I select XP, it never did. I figured it was microsoft playing games. So I got this bright idea that I would disconnect the one tb hard drive, install XP, then after that was done, reconnect the one tb and disconnect the other and install Vista. Doing this, I figured would guarantee that no files of the earlier installed operating system would be deleted.

So after disconnecting the one tb drive, I put the XP disk in and it did nothing. I reconnected the one tb drive and it still does nothing -goes to a screen ?Verifying dmi data" and stops

What did I do wrong? Can anyone give me a clue how to fix it?

I sure would appreciate it. I can't get my satellite feeds and shows now.

thank you gents

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you see each of your hard drives in the bios when only one is connected? There might be a master/slave setting that is messed up...and depending on how old the drive is, a jumper might be improperly installed on one of the drives.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Cloud /forum/post/18266697

About a year ago I built an HTPC with a Gigabyte motherboard (graphics card incorporated) an AMD 920 chip and two hard drives - one a Seagate 1 tb hard drive which uses the smaller connectors and the other a 500 gb hard drive which uses the older style connectors (big ribbon cable)

I had initially installed xp 64 bit, but when it wasn't supported I installed Vista on top of it.

The screen on start up asks which operating system I want to run, but when I select XP, it never did. I figured it was microsoft playing games. So I got this bright idea that I would disconnect the one tb hard drive, install XP, then after that was done, reconnect the one tb and disconnect the other and install Vista. Doing this, I figured would guarantee that no files of the earlier installed operating system would be deleted.

So after disconnecting the one tb drive, I put the XP disk in and it did nothing. I reconnected the one tb drive and it still does nothing -goes to a screen ?Verifying dmi data" and stops

What did I do wrong? Can anyone give me a clue how to fix it?

I sure would appreciate it. I can't get my satellite feeds and shows now.

thank you gents

If you do reformat and want to dual boot try to use one drive for both. To do this install xp first. When installing xp it will ask you to choose a disk to install. At that time delete the partition on the boot drive than create a partition half of the size of drive. select that partition to install XP. Once xp is installed run the vista install. Select the unused space on the same drive for the vista install. Once everything is installed you will have the option to boot in either xp or vista. In xp you could remove the drive letter from the vista partition to hide it in manage or give it a high drive letter. If you kept your movies on one drive you may be able to get them back if the drive is viewable in windows from the other drive.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts