Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have my HTPC hooked up.....finally and all is well except for the annoying scan line that comes up the screen every 2 seconds. But that's another topic.

Anyways, my HTPC has a built in LAN controller, Intel I believe. The problem is that when the HTPC goes into standby the LAN controller loses connection. It's a real pain as I can't get to the HTPC from my PC located upstairs.

Anyone know of a way to set the LAN controller to never go to sleep when the rest of the PC does?

Also, if you have suggestions on getting rid of the scan line, feel free to reply as well.

Thanks,

Lunarist

·
Registered
63 Posts
Of course the computer is going to lose connection when your computer goes into standby. TCP/IP stack state is managed by the computer, not by the NIC.

If you want to wake your computer, use wake-on-lan. Enable it in your BIOS, and under hardware manager (need to enable it from poweroff, and from standby mode, respectively.)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gofti,

Than why do 3 of my other computers not lose connection? All running different NIC cards. One of them even keeps link status on my switch when it's powered off.

Lunarist

·
Registered
63 Posts
You mean that sorta connection? Must be BIOS settings for your NIC card, then. I've never paid attn to my hubs to see if my computer keeps the line live when it's in standby... All I know is that WOL always works for me (especially after enabling it from within device mgr).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.