AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange problem with my HTPC. I use an Asus P5K-E mobo, and when I restart the computer, it gets stuck at the pre-windows loading phase, showing the P5K logo etc. I then need to hit the reset button, and it will then boot normally.

What can the problem be? Does it load drivers even before the windows startup is initiated?

Edit: Also - navigating the BIOS is extremely slow!

·
Registered
913 Posts
i would laso recommend visiting the web site of the motherboard manufacturer and making sure you have the most up to date version of motherboard BIOS loaded. If not, i would consider updating your motherboard BIOS as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18264941

Try reseting CMOS (pull battery out or use jumper depending on motherboard). Check battery and make sure it's good.

Thanks - How do I check the battery?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check to makesure you have the latest motherboard BIOS. Its definately a hardware problem. If the BIOS's good then i'd unplug everything not needed to post. ie harddrives, dvd drives, pci cards, videocard if it has onboard. Then see if it posts correctly. If it does then add the components one by one to isolate the problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done some error searching. Cleared the CMOS and measured 3V on the battery. No change.

I have a USB superbooster (USB extender over cat5) connected that seems to be the problem. It's a USB sender -> cat5 -> USB receiver, and then connected to an active USB hub with a touchscreen and keyboard connected.

With the superbooster connected, I must always hit the reset button to boot. This is also the reason why navigating the BIOS is slow. With the superbooster removed, everything's normal.

I do need the USB superbooster. It has functioned perfectly up until about a month ago. I don't think this is a problem with the superbooster, since the signal flows fine.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstorm77 /forum/post/18280195

With the superbooster connected, I must always hit the reset button to boot. This is also the reason why navigating the BIOS is slow. With the superbooster removed, everything's normal.

So maybe the slow boot is the BIOS trying to connect to the keyboard through the "superbooster"?

Is there a BIOS option to ignore errors during boot?

Try connecting both a PS2 keyboard and the remote keyboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts