AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to post my configuration in hopes that others searching for answers may get some idea of an approach. If it wasn't for others doing the same thing in this forum, I would NEVER have had success.

After much tinkering and many trips back and forth to/from Circuit City and Comp USA, I now have an AWESOME picture on my TV

My Configuration is as follows:

TV: Sony 32" FD Trinitron® WEGA® Hi-Scan® KV-32HS500.

PC: Shuttle Spacewalker SS50 with a Pentium IV 2GHz, and 512MB RAM

Software: Powerstrip, PowerDVD 4.0, MusicMatch Jukebox

Audio: Sound Blaster Extigy (including NECESSARY software/firmware upgrades provided by Creative Labs)

Video: ATI Radeon 7500 PCI graphics card (providing VGA, Composite and DVI video out)

A/V Reciever: Harman-Kardon AVR 325 7 x 50W 7.1-Channel A/V Receiver

Speakers: Polk Audio 5.1 Speakers

PC Directly connected to TV via DVI cable

PC Connected to Extigy via USB

Extigy connected to Reciever via optical digital cable

Things that other people have had difficulties with that I have been able to achieve:

I can display my computer screen in Widescreen mode at 1280x720p. (PERFECT FOR DVD VIEWING)

I have setup the software to passthrough the dolby digital spdif signal to my reciever and my reciever recognizes the signal as 5.1 chanels (including Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS.

I'm still working on the video capture end of things, but I anticipate that it will be a far less arduous task than that which has already been achieved.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Its good to hear that all went well. My proposed HTPC set up is below and is along the same lines as yours. I am planning to go straight from he Motherboard to the Harmon Kardon with digital coax. I hope it works.

May I ask why you chose MusicMatch over WMP or Winamp.

Scott

·
Registered
499 Posts
Congrats! Just a couple questions:

- Does the Radeon 7500 have the Theater Mode chip? If not, how did you correct the overscan problem?

- Why a PCI graphics card?

·
Registered
478 Posts
quote:

"I can display my computer screen in Widescreen mode at 1280x720p. (PERFECT FOR DVD VIEWING) "

Doese PowerDVD allow you to use 720p? I just installed Theatertek and when I set my res to 720p then the Theatertek playback only use about the top left 2/3 of the screen, with the desktop showing on the rest. I can't find any way to tell Theatertek to cale it up to use the whole resolution.

Can you configure PowerDVD to do this? Do you see any improvement in picture quality vs. using 480P or 540p?

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
584 Posts
Talk about perfect timing...

I am going to purchase an HS500 as soon as I can find it on sale at one of the local stores (am I dreaming?). I will also be connecting to an HTPC via the DVI port to a Radeon 7500 (AIW version, in my case).

Would you mind posting your Powerstrip timings?

What resolution do you run your normal desktop? Do you switch back and forth between a 4:3 res for normal use and 16:9 res for DVD? What do you use to do this? Do you use Girder to automate it?

How long is your DVI cable? Have you experienced the signal strength issues that many in this forum have hinted at with the 7500 card?

Any info and/or configs you are send this way are MUCH appreciated!

I have not generally been a fan of Sony equipment, but this set seems very nice.

Regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer a few questions:

PCI Graphics card because my PC is a Shuttle mini computer and when I bought it, there was no AGP slot model available. (but of course there is now)

I just use MusicMatch because it's what I've always used and it supports my MP3 player. Is there any big advantage to the other to programs?

I have not yet solved the overscan problem. Any suggestions are welcome! This is a notable problem when using the device as PC, but for viewing DVD's it's not really a problem.

I have not noticed any signal strength issues. DVI Cable is 10ft (Belkin) because that's all the folks at CompUSA had.

As for PowerStrip timings, I just used the preset 1280x720 HDTV standard choice in the menu in PowerStrip and it worked beautifully. I increased my font size to 150% to make things clear.

You may want to look into the 600 v. the 500. I know it's more, but I understand that you have the option of turning of the DRC function which makes strong chanels look OUTSTANDING and weak channels look TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi gmlile.

I'm glad to finally find someone who has connected their 32hs500(510) to a pc the same way I want to (via DVI).

I am presently considering purchasing the 32hs510. I have an ATI Radeon AIW (original model). Glad to hear that you have been able to get 1280x720 to work for 16:9 content. Have you tried setting powerstip for a 960x720 resolution for 4:3 content.

A concern I do have about the 32hs500(510) is that it might automatically go into 16:9 enhanced mode if it receives a signal via DVI (whether that signal is 16:9 format or 4:3).

Also, since it has been a while since your last post, have you had any luck reducing the overscanning? If not, how much overscanning are we talkin' about?

Any input would be great! :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I ended up purchasing the 32HV600 because I was able to find a customer return model for less than a new HS500. It's a great set, except...

It appears that my Radeon AIW 7500 will only output to the DVI connector if the connected monitor supports DDC. The 32HV600 doesn't seem to do that. :(

So, I ended up buying a transcoder to use component inputs to the TV set. Not ideal, but it works.

Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.