AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the end of building out a 16 ch 9.2.6 basement theater. I'm setting up either an HTP-1 or JBL SDP-55 to run things. I'm also in the middle of building a multipurpose PC that I want to connect to these that can fully utilize the Atmos setup I have. My chosen motherboard (Asus Maximus xii Extreme) has no HDMI out, and I plan to use my video card HDMI ports to run a multi monitor setup where I plan to max out the resolution and performance with video only, so I won't have any ports nor GPU processing bandwidth I care to allocate to audio. Instead, I want a separate audio solution altogether. I'm not yet convinced that an internal sound card will be best due to internal interference, but I'm open to suggestions on either internal or external options that can get me a nice bitstream to my AVR that has the bandwidth necessary to carry Atmos. I'm not sure that I really need a DAC since I plan to let my AVR do the decoding, but if there are suggestions on DACs that are better than what I'm already planning then I'm open. Please let me know if there are some suggested paths where I can start some research on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
No spare display port outputs you can use a display port to hdmi adapter with? The only other option is multichannel analog ports but you'll lose most of the reason for having that many audio channels to play with. You can obtain 16 channel audio interfaces relatively easily as they're what musicians use.

But the motherboard video output would be ideal. It should have some form of digital display output either using thunderbolt, USB c or displayport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does have some thunderbolt 3 and usb c 3.2 ports available. What software would I need to push audio through them so the pc would recognize them as audio out for bitstream? Are there any pro audio cards that add hdmi? My 4k player has 2 HDMI outputs, one 2.1 to get my video to my TV and a separate lower bandwidth HDMI that passes just the bitsream to my AVR where it decodes it to my 7.2.4 Atmos set up in my living room, so I would think I could do the same on PC, but having a hard time find an HDMI expansion card.

Also, how about ethernet? Does Dante work well? Perhaps I should ask JBL. Now that I've slept on it, that seems to be a good route to take.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geforce 3070, launch in short timeframe, cheapest HDMI 2.1 GPU around.
I have a 3090 doing triple screen ultrawide doing 3840x1600 and FPS and refresh is already taking a toll, I don't want to task it and lose more performance than I am. So I would like something else to for the audio since my CPU is still free and I have an available pcie x16 available if needed.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,009 Posts
I'm at the end of building out a 16 ch 9.2.6 basement theater. I'm setting up either an HTP-1 or JBL SDP-55 to run things. I'm also in the middle of building a multipurpose PC that I want to connect to these that can fully utilize the Atmos setup I have. My chosen motherboard (Asus Maximus xii Extreme) has no HDMI out, and I plan to use my video card HDMI ports to run a multi monitor setup where I plan to max out the resolution and performance with video only, so I won't have any ports nor GPU processing bandwidth I care to allocate to audio. Instead, I want a separate audio solution altogether. I'm not yet convinced that an internal sound card will be best due to internal interference, but I'm open to suggestions on either internal or external options that can get me a nice bitstream to my AVR that has the bandwidth necessary to carry Atmos. I'm not sure that I really need a DAC since I plan to let my AVR do the decoding, but if there are suggestions on DACs that are better than what I'm already planning then I'm open. Please let me know if there are some suggested paths where I can start some research on this. Thanks!
I think you're completely thinking about this wrong. This is not how you want to use the HTPC. The HTPC should output video and audio straight out the HDMI to the processor. Your player will bitstream the audio out as raw atmos undecoded. The HTP-1 or SDP-55 will decode this into the 16 channel streams. There is zero overhead over the HDMI for PC side processing here. The DAC in the processor will be better than in the PC anyway mainly because you'd have to send decoded audio out if you decode it in the PC then you risk noise, jitter etc.

Further, if you're building an HTPC to do this stuff, you'd want to run madVR for better video processing.
I have a 3090 doing triple screen ultrawide doing 3840x1600 and FPS and refresh is already taking a toll, I don't want to task it and lose more performance than I am. So I would like something else to for the audio since my CPU is still free and I have an available pcie x16 available if needed.
Yea, that's not how things work. There is zero additional processing by sending raw audio out your HDMI. Even if you're talking running audio in games, the video card processing that handles the game's 3D is not engaged in decoding or doing anything with HDMI audio at all. Impact there is zero.

Finally, due to spec, you cannot get more than 5.1 audio out without using HDMI output. That means atmos, dtsx, dts-ma all that stuff would be off the table unless you're using your 3090 HDMI output. There's no reason not to use the HDMI output for audio.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you're completely thinking about this wrong. This is not how you want to use the HTPC. The HTPC should output video and audio straight out the HDMI to the processor. Your player will bitstream the audio out as raw atmos undecoded. The HTP-1 or SDP-55 will decode this into the 16 channel streams. There is zero overhead over the HDMI for PC side processing here. The DAC in the processor will be better than in the PC anyway mainly because you'd have to send decoded audio out if you decode it in the PC then you risk noise, jitter etc.

Further, if you're building an HTPC to do this stuff, you'd want to run madVR for better video processing.

Yea, that's not how things work. There is zero additional processing by sending raw audio out your HDMI. Even if you're talking running audio in games, the video card processing that handles the game's 3D is not engaged in decoding or doing anything with HDMI audio at all. Impact there is zero.

Finally, due to spec, you cannot get more than 5.1 audio out without using HDMI output. That means atmos, dtsx, dts-ma all that stuff would be off the table unless you're using your 3090 HDMI output. There's no reason not to use the HDMI output for audio.
I can definitely believe that since I'm just beginning my research. I appreciate your thoughts. So, this is a multipurpose PC. During HT application, yes, I can do a single connection to my HT screen and AVR. But when I'm doing gaming and I want to use my same AVR to output to my speaker config, my HDMI ports will be full going to my triple 3840x1600 monitors that don't have eARC. Not sure how to put the AVR in front and send a signal back to just 1 of those monitors and still maintain G-SYNC and the not have FPS/refresh hits? That's why I was looking to separate the audio out from video functions on the PC.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,009 Posts
I can definitely believe that since I'm just beginning my research. I appreciate your thoughts. So, this is a multipurpose PC. During HT application, yes, I can do a single connection to my HT screen and AVR. But when I'm doing gaming and I want to use my same AVR to output to my speaker config, my HDMI ports will be full going to my triple 3840x1600 monitors that don't have eARC. Not sure how to put the AVR in front and send a signal back to just 1 of those monitors and still maintain G-SYNC and the not have FPS/refresh hits? That's why I was looking to separate the audio out from video functions on the PC.
Does your AVR have dual outputs? You could have an HDMI out from our AVR to one of the 3 gaming monitors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does your AVR have dual outputs? You could have an HDMI out from our AVR to one of the 3 gaming monitors
Yes, however for gaming I'm afraid that would break the G-Sync connection to that monitor by introducing an interim device, much less one that doesn't support G-Sync. For HT use, I can definitely use a direct connect from a spare HDMI from my 3090, it is the gaming where I run into problems without another HDMI port.

Someone suggested to me that I take out my thunderbolt 3 card from my PCI-E x4 and replace it with a GT-710 which would get me another HDMI port I might be able to use to send the bitstream to my AVR, so I may try to see if I can do that. I'll have to ponder how my PC will know to send video to my good card and the same stream to the 710 so I can send over just the audio. Never tried anything like that, so it may be a disaster or maybe brilliantly work. I dunno, but so far that seems to be my best lead.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
Yes, however for gaming I'm afraid that would break the G-Sync connection to that monitor by introducing an interim device, much less one that doesn't support G-Sync. For HT use, I can definitely use a direct connect from a spare HDMI from my 3090, it is the gaming where I run into problems without another HDMI port.

Someone suggested to me that I take out my thunderbolt 3 card from my PCI-E x4 and replace it with a GT-710 which would get me another HDMI port I might be able to use to send the bitstream to my AVR, so I may try to see if I can do that. I'll have to ponder how my PC will know to send video to my good card and the same stream to the 710 so I can send over just the audio. Never tried anything like that, so it may be a disaster or maybe brilliantly work. I dunno, but so far that seems to be my best lead.
I understand now. Doesn't your 3090 have more than 3 video outputs? 3 HDMI and a couple display ports? You might be able to run display port to your AVR. It will still show up as a display in windows 10, but you can disable the display part in the latest windows and run audio only. But don't you need a audio/video run into your processor for when you're actually doing home theater stuff?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand now. Doesn't your 3090 have more than 3 video outputs? 3 HDMI and a couple display ports? You might be able to run display port to your AVR. It will still show up as a display in windows 10, but you can disable the display part in the latest windows and run audio only. But don't you need a audio/video run into your processor for when you're actually doing home theater stuff?
It has 1 HDMI and 3 Displayport, but the card is maxed when doing triple screen 3840x1600. The FPS wanes considerably even with the 3090. So I was hoping to offload the sound from the video card if possible to something dedicated to that. So I thought I'd post here to see if there was a card that I just hadn't discovered for dedicated bitstream over HDMI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts