Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I just received a new SHARP 37G4U TV and am totally ready to take the HTPC plunge. I was REALLY excited about Alienware DHS systems but am seriously rethinking this based on a lot of the information posted on AVS.

Basically, my question is who would you buy a HTPC from if you didn't have the time/skills to build it yourself?

I have Adelphia and will be getting HDTV next week thru the Cable Box and HDMI connection.

I want to use the HTPC (preferrably horizonal case) for

1. basic computer function (internet, word processing, etc)

2. record TV to the hard drive,

3. DVD playback/recording (it'll be connected by DVI-I)

4. hook it up to my speaker system/mp3 playback

Thanks again for the help with this. I'm really psyched about the HTPC but need your help in making the right choice!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Gujuman, I sent you a private mail.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Honestly, I'd recommend a decent pre-built, focus on learning the software rather than trying to get the hardware to play nice. When you put a whole bunch of the best pieces together it's a lot harder to stabilize compared to components with basic functionality. Reviews on the net need to be taken with a grain of salt. Sometimes they're unecessarily harsh, sometimes deservedly. There are a number of review sites, one of my favs is here:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1650.html

There are other good places to buy a pre-built, some cheaper some better quality. For comparison, it's educational to see a vendor that has been recommended on AVS,
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1867.html

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Build that baby!!!

From what i see out there MAYBE the HP media PC but it costs like 2 grand! But if you build, you can have quality components for less. You can chosse the case you want and the list goes on. You just have to dedicate a weekend to set this up. Maybe less time depending on your PC skills. Just don't get one of those low profile or tiny cases.

If you pay someone to do it, he better be next to you if something does not work..mike...

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Building it is the only way, IMO. Tweaking is half the fun.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Building is a personal decision. Personally, I'll never buy a pre-built for myself. For friends I'll sell my old system which has been debugged or have them buy a pre-built. It doesn't take a lot of skill to build a computer, really. There are any number of guides with photos and instructions. But to get it right takes a lot of research, and if you want a system now I'd probably buy something minimal for the task and plan your build in a couple of years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.