AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a couple of Panasonic DVD recorders with HDD for recording TV programs and making DVD's. I can edit commercials out and burn to DVD-R's.

I am very new to all of this(HTPC) so I don't know what I would need to build a similar setup(for recording TV from Sat/Cable and editing programs and burning DVD's using n HTPC.

I assume I'd need a computer(i.e. - Mac Mini or a PC), external hard drive(s) for storage, and a DVD burner.

What software is needed(to make it user friendly)?

How would I connect the Sat/Cable box to the computer?

BTW I have Verizon Fios. I don't yet have a High Definition TV but plan to soon.

I'd like to use the HTPC's hard drive for storage but also have the ability to burn DVD's and possibly Blu Ray Discs.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
I'd start by purchasing a new flat screen HDTV. There's no excuse for not having one at today's prices. Even 4K sets have dropped way down in price.

Second, forget about burning DVDs. Nobody does that anymore. You're about 15 years behind everyone else with respect to current technology.

Since you're on FIOS, get yourself a Tivo with lifetime service and call it a day. You can transfer programs to your PC over your network and burn them to DVD if you absolutely must. There are lots of other forums dedicated to recording all types of video formats and media, such as afterdawn.com, videohelp.com, and several others.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd start by purchasing a new flat screen HDTV. There's no excuse for not having one at today's prices. Even 4K sets have dropped way down in price.

Second, forget about burning DVDs. Nobody does that anymore. You're about 15 years behind everyone else with respect to current technology.

Since you're on FIOS, get yourself a Tivo with lifetime service and call it a day. You can transfer programs to your PC over your network and burn them to DVD if you absolutely must. There are lots of other forums dedicated to recording all types of video formats and media, such as afterdawn.com, videohelp.com, and several others.
Do you know what format TiVo records in? Will I be able to edit the programs to take the commercials out with my computer?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Do you know what format TiVo records in? Will I be able to edit the programs to take the commercials out with my computer?
I forget the actual format (I believe it has a .tivo extension), but it's basically an mpeg2 file, IIRC. Get yourself a copy of VideoReDo and you can edit the tivo files directly and save them in whatever format you like.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forget the actual format (I believe it has a .tivo extension), but it's basically an mpeg2 file, IIRC. Get yourself a copy of VideoReDo and you can edit the tivo files directly and save them in whatever format you like.
Does VideoReDo work on an Apple Mac?

Do the TiVo files have copy protection or does VideoReDo take care of that?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Does VideoReDo work on an Apple Mac?

Do the TiVo files have copy protection or does VideoReDo take care of that?
There's no copy protection unless the channel is flagged as copy once, like HBO or Fx. Tivos allow you to transfer files to your PC or between Tivos over your home network. You'd have to check the VideoReDo website for compatibility with a Mac. The majority of people use PCs so most popular apps will be aimed at the major market.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no copy protection unless the channel is flagged as copy once, like HBO or Fx. Tivos allow you to transfer files to your PC or between Tivos over your home network. You'd have to check the VideoReDo website for compatibility with a Mac. The majority of people use PCs so most popular apps will be aimed at the major market.
Thanks for all this great information!

What is the advantage of using TiVo instead of just getting a Fios DVR from Verizon?

If I get TiVo, do I use it with my Fios or get rid of Fios? How does TiVo work?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
You own the DVR rather than renting it from Verizon. It will be cheaper in the long run to own the Tivo and you also have the option to upgrade it with a larger hard drive for more storage capacity. With the FIOS DVR you're stuck with whatever they give you.

Tivo works with FIOS so you'll still need FIOS as your source provider. Tivo just replaces the hardware you would normally rent from Verizon, but it has better features. The only thing you'll need to rent from Verizon is a cablecard, which plugs into the Tivo and decrypts all of the channels so the Tivo can record them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You own the DVR rather than renting it from Verizon. It will be cheaper in the long run to own the Tivo and you also have the option to upgrade it with a larger hard drive for more storage capacity. With the FIOS DVR you're stuck with whatever they give you.

Tivo works with FIOS so you'll still need FIOS as your source provider. Tivo just replaces the hardware you would normally rent from Verizon, but it has better features. The only thing you'll need to rent from Verizon is a cablecard, which plugs into the Tivo and decrypts all of the channels so the Tivo can record them.
This sounds good!

So I won't need to use the Verizon 'cable' box with TiVo?

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
This sounds good!

So I won't need to use the Verizon 'cable' box with TiVo?
No. The Tivo becomes your cable box. It has multiple built-in tuners (4 or 6, depending on which model you get) so it replaces up to 6 cable boxes, but you only need to rent a single cablecard to decrypt the channels on all tuners.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I flirted with the idea of switching to Tivo (Bolt) about a year ago.

Two things prevented me from switching individually since I am the only one in the house that uses a cable card.

1) All of the streaming apps on the Tivo Bolt are available via Kodi or my Sony PlayStation 3 at no additional cost.

It's not all unified so I have to switch inputs but I feel that's perfectly okay.

2) It cost me less to rebuild my HTPC and my WHS 2011 server than it would to buy a Tivo Bolt and one year's subscription.

There is no need to burn DVD's or even delete adverts when it's been done for you already. There is nothing you can't watch via alternatives and don't require anything more than a high speed internet connection.

With STB's you get locked into a ecosystem that's hard to modify by enthusiast. I will give Tivo credit because they responded to enthusiast with the Bolt.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Two things prevented me from switching individually since I am the only one in the house that uses a cable card.

1) All of the streaming apps on the Tivo Bolt are available via Kodi or my Sony PlayStation 3 at no additional cost.

It's not all unified so I have to switch inputs but I feel that's perfectly okay.

2) It cost me less to rebuild my HTPC and my WHS 2011 server than it would to buy a Tivo Bolt and one year's subscription.

There is no need to burn DVD's or even delete adverts when it's been done for you already. There is nothing you can't watch via alternatives and don't require anything more than a high speed internet connection.

With STB's you get locked into a ecosystem that's hard to modify by enthusiast. I will give Tivo credit because they responded to enthusiast with the Bolt.
I understand I can store movies/TV shows on a hard drive so I won't need to burn DVD's.

I don't have to delete advertisements? Is that with TIVO?

Can you explain this more? I'm very new to all of this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What device or service deletes the advertisements?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts