AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering (strongly) the prospect of replacing my JVC progressive scan DVD and Dishnetwork 6000 with an HTPC using MyHD and a radeon 7xxx.

The TV is a PT47WX49 that has only component inputs. I have no complaints with the DVD player (except its within the rental period of 30 days from Best Buy) and a slight complaint over the reception of the 8VSB card on the Dishnetwork 6000.

My concerns are as follows and would like some feedback on these:

1. DVD player on HTPC would not be of the same quality and clarity of the JVC.

2. The HTPC would not be as stable as the DVD or the 6000 standalone devices.

3. The noise would be excessive (not planning on immediately doing any noise suppression).

4. There would be hidden costs that I do not know of yet.

5. Stability, stability, stability

6. Digital reception - touchy on the Dishnetwork - would be worse on the MyHD card.

I'm not concerned with technically performing the work - its knowing the industry that I am concerned with the quality and stability. I am looking at an Athlon 900 256MB with a 120GB harddrive - will purchase a MyHD card, a Radeon 7xxx, and a sound card with digital out to feed the receiver. I expect to be able to play progressive scan DVDs with moderate to high quality, receive OTA digital channels, record the OTA digital channels (and potentially record S-video output from the satellite if possible). Will purchase the DSUB to Component cable for the MyHD and would like to display computer images as well (will purchase a converter box if necessary)

Sorry for the rambling - just want to get it all down and start the process. I'm mostly interested in stability issues and what I may be missing in my expectations.

Chris

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Well,

1. DVD Quality should be SUPERIOR from the HTPC when correctly set up!

2. Stability should be fine if you buy good components. I do have a gripe with the Hipix hdtv card locking up some times though..

3. Noise could be an issue

4. Well if you only have component inputs, expect to pay about 120 for a transcoder, and 50-200 dollars for cables, depending on quality you go for.

5. ...

6. No clue about this one. The MyHD is supposed to be better than Hipix at least.

The people around here with super projector setups claim that using an ATI is better/similar at least to having a line-doubler in the 1000s USD range. I wouldn't know about that, but you should get AT LEAST as good quality as your JVC. I would think only DVD players in the 1000 USD range could come close.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
5. Drop the Athlon and and and stay away from VIA. Stability is with Intel for HTPC. Lots of debate with OS's. Win98SE/Win2K/WinXP are choices with their own camps.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies -

Why Intel for HTPC? I do have a PIII 550 in addition to the Athlon 900 - and it appears that speed won't be an issue as the MyHD does onboard decoding - but I personally have always found AMD to have equal to superior quality for Intel - but that doesn't include HTPC experience.

RCA has their standard transcoder which you can get on Ebay for under $100 - decent quality or stay away from it?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Intel chipsets are generally considered more stable for HTPC use.

Stay away...actually, run away, from the RCA transcoder. Poorest picture quality of all the available reasonably priced transcoders. Key Digital has the best PQ, and Audio Authority makes a good one as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.