AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ASUS TUSL2 MB w/ a retail PIII TUALATIN 1.13 Ghz processer (NOT overclocked).

I have ASUS probe running and occassionally it pops up and shows me that the +5V value is close to 0. This lasts for maybe 2 seconds, then it goes back to showing 4.999.

What does this mean? Has anyone else seen this behavior? My HTPC is running great, even when it comes up with that error!

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Likely the software wasn't able to fetch an updated value for some reason.

Or perhaps it caught the sensor midway through a refresh

or substantially worse, perhaps there is something seriously wrong with your power supply.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I don't think it's the power supply because I had the same power supply running another PIII machine (ASUS MB w/ PIII 1 Ghz) without incident (It's an Antec True Power 330 supply about 2 months old). I suppose I could swap supplies and see if it happens with the other one too...

Jeff

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I swapped power supplies with another one that I had and thought that fixed the problem... nope, just happened again :-(

So, now i have it plugged into a UPS thinking that maybe there's something weird going on with the power in my house... any other suggestions?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi DCypher:

___Fortunately, there are better HW monitoring programs than Asus Probe available to the CUSL2/TUSL2 owners. There have been a number of updates to Asus Probe as well. If your 5 V rail dropped to 0 for even a fraction of a second, you would more than likely be staring at your BIOS screen after the reboot right about now ;) In any case, the last Asus Probe I picked up maybe 2 weeks ago is 2.16.08 which I have to use on the SiS 645DX based P4S533. Motherboard Monitor however will work with your TUSL2 much more elegantly and I highly recommend it. You will not use Asus Probe ever again, I can almost guarantee it.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I downloaded and installed the newest release, and haven't seen the problem since... one thing that annoys me though (about the new release that is) is that you can't set the cpu fan threshold below 2200 rpm!

As you know xcel, it's possible to get excellent cooling from a larger fan running at 1500 RPM :) So, i had to shut off the fan monitor(s) and just pay attention to the temp of the CPU & MB. BTW - my CPU is happily running at 38c with no noise coming from the case :)

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.