AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think someone probably asked this before, but too bad I can't found anything with my search, hopefully someone can share some information...

I got a TV tuner in my Vista HTPC which got it's signal from Analog Cable. The HTPC is equipped with ATI HD4670 and the DVD upconvert works ok, but it doesn't looks like any improvement on live SD TV. Is there anyway to get also the live SD TV upconverted to a sharper image?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Short (qualified) answer - sort of-but it can be a lot of work with various filters etc.

The bottom line however is that you can't create pixels out of nothing. The image IS being upconverted but there is so little data to work with that the results are less than inspiring.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockytt /forum/post/15493026

Short (qualified) answer - sort of-but it can be a lot of work with various filters etc.

The bottom line however is that you can't create pixels out of nothing. The image IS being upconverted but there is so little data to work with that the results are less than inspiring.

But I think some higher-price HDTV do better job to display SD content than some cheap HDTV, that's why I think it may be possible to upconvert SD TV content. Too bad it sounds like there is no solution for HTPC.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The netrworks use hardware upsccalers that cost thousands if $ to upscale SD content to HD resolutions. These units use very complex algorithims to try and invent the additional pixel content that is added and they now do a pretty good job as evidenced by viewing SD programs on thier HD channels.

You can not expect the upscaling being done by a PC graphics card to even come close.

The higher priced 1080p HDTVs do use dedicated graphics chips that do a better job of upscaling then the PC cards but again nowhere near as good as can be done with dedicated scaling hardware systems.

There have been several posts recently that many of the TV manufacturers are anouncing better upscaling in their new models at this weeks CES show.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts