AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had an older first gen 128gb Sata3 SSD; it is unstable (I don't like it.)

Upgraded to this guy, a 480gb current-day model 550mb/s. (Double the speed of my old one, 4 times the capacity, and 33% cheaper. LOL!)
Hopefully it works better!
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-480G-G25/dp/B00M8ABFX6/

I'll be using the old SSD to archive and process my youtube videos, I'm using a 200gb 5400RPM at the moment (don't laugh LOL!), so it will be a huge upgrade in video processing speed (and less heat/noise/watts in my HTPC).

I also picked up one of these for my camera:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Memory-Adapter--SDSDQUAN-128G-G4A-Version/dp/B00M562LF4/

Should be here in the next day or so...

Attachments

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I'm using a 200gb 5400RPM at the moment (don't laugh LOL!),

I laffed.

I laffed hard.

Seriously?

I'd rather light my male genitalia on fire and put it out with a sledge hammer. The pain would be less intense and over faster....

5400rpm drives for OS installs should be against the law. They are a detriment to society and peoples's valuable time everywhere.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts

I'm using a 200gb 5400RPM at the moment (don't laugh LOL!),
OK I won't..................can't help it
No seriously, you will see tremendous improvement using the gen2 ssd. When I upgraded my server with the gen2 SSDs, It was a dramatic improvement in terms of serving files, backing up files, installing server application and features and startup speed.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
:confused: No first gen SSD is SATA3. I think of the Intel X25-M as a first gen SSD.

Further, if it's unstable why would you want to keep using it?
One of the first sata3's I meant to say, it's 4 years old (pretty old for SSD's.)

It only seems unstable as a boot drive.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still double your speed. :) I have a Samsung XP941 256MB M.2 with 1080MB/s.
For speed that thing looks sweet!

Unfortunately I'd rather go for capacity than speed. If I could get a 4TB SSD for $200 I would.

The 1TB SSD's are coming down in price now, 2016 might just be the year of the death of rotationals for high capacity storage for good.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I'm still double your speed. :) I have a Samsung XP941 256MB M.2 with 1080MB/s.
My Vertex 3 120GB SSD's are faster :)

4 striped in RAID 0. I have a 256GB Samsung PRO and it's not contest faster. I dual boot, the sammy for one OS, the RAID0 array for another. I'll take 4x cheap 120GB SSD anyday. :D

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
For speed that thing looks sweet!

Unfortunately I'd rather go for capacity than speed. If I could get a 4TB SSD for $200 I would.

The 1TB SSD's are coming down in price now, 2016 might just be the year of the death of rotationals for high capacity storage for good.

STRIPE DRIVES IN RAID BRO!

My scratch disk is 8TB and it's faster than SSD and it cost (wait for it)...

$200

2TB Hitachi 7200rpm drives. $49 new egg refurb sale. A scratch disc does not need to be reliable.
I have a 80TB flexraid server for storage.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
How do the 4x RAID0 drives compare to the single Samsung in terms of IOPS though?
If it's a SSD stripe is kills it. If it's a normal spinner it gives up a little in the random stuff...

But most times scratch discs are about sequential performance, in which case you can easily hit 500MB/sec sustained. Copy a movie or something like that... It depends on what you are doing but the cost for SSD is a lot higher so you need to pay to play.

Under 1TB needed I would go SSD, or many of them in RAID. Over 1TB I would go RAID 0 with larger drives. More drivers is faster than fewer, so you really want to use 4 or more smaller drives to add up to the total you need. You essentially get 4x the speed with 4 drives, than just 1. That is enough for most applications.

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
STRIPE DRIVES IN RAID BRO!

My scratch disk is 8TB and it's faster than SSD and it cost (wait for it)...
$200

I have a 80TB flexraid server for storage.
That is total overkill for my usage.

I have 66GB of youtube videos and 10GB of system-build pictures. (That's just over 3 years worth of DIY / me farting around.)
Well under 128GB thus far.

My boot has windows on it, and a few apps (

Attachments

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
That is total overkill for my usage.

I have 66GB of youtube videos and 10GB of system-build pictures. (That's just over 3 years worth of DIY / me farting around.)
Well under 128GB thus far.

My boot has windows on it, and a few apps (

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The expected lifespan of the +480/512gb SSD's are now in the hundreds of TB writes, anotherwords the drive will last longer than my lifetime, and most certainly the CPU/Motherboard upgrade cycle, and future disk-upgrade cycles.

The same cannot be said of rotationals, because of their moving parts.
The only thing that could kill an SSD is a nuke strike or comet explosion, other than that they are pretty much bulletproof. (at least in-theory...)

Capacity is the ONLY thing keeping rotationals alive at this point in time, and that is coming to a close too.
When it comes to: speed, size, weight, noise, shock, magnetic fields, battery life, watts, heat, and mostly importantly of all: lifespan without failure. SSD = already winning

1 - 20 of 28 Posts