AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

this will be my first time building a pc and im shure it gets old hearing people asking for help with things i am trying to find a bit more info about which video card i should go with im very interested in the MSI HD 3870 and the GeForce 8600GTS OC what im trying to figure out is should i get two of the 8600's or one 3870 now and another later and all so if it is going to be truely needed in my case which will be mainly a htpc and all around home PC i use it for movies and recording music a bit my exsisting pc has a X850XT has been great so i am used to ati and wanting to a crossfire set up but will gladly go with SLI ifits going to preform better anyway

i am going to be trying my hand at overclocking the system so any input reguarding that would all so be helpful im only going to 3ghz with any luck , again this is my 1st time building but i have some expierence with pc's and electronics,

any help/recommendations would be great ,i cant thank you all enough for your time sorry just wanted to say that in advance, so here we go my parts list so far is below , but imwilling to change or upgrade if needed

thanx again everyone ,

owen

asus p5w dh

intel q6600 quad

either the ultra 120 w/120 fan or liquid cooling kit (if i can find one thats worth it

CORSAIR XMS2 4gb

SEAGATE 250GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB (going to get a 2nd HD if any suggestions)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I don't believe that board supports SLI, you need a Nvidia chipset.

FWIW, I am pretty happy with my Gigabyte 3870.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think it would be worth it to get two of the 3870's if im only going to be watching movies not really playing video games or is one enough,

and just wondering but what do you think of the Thermaltake Big Water 735 Liquid Cooling System is it worth getting if i cold buy it for $100

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Not worth it, in fact the 3870 is likely too much card if you don't game. The 3450 seems to be creating some buzz for ~$50. I doubt anyone has tried one yet.

I don't see much advantage to water cooling, seems like it would make the build more difficult.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I don't know what your display is but I run a CRT projector and require custom timings. I beleive that custom timings are broken with NVida so this made ATI a must for me.

I am using a Asus Maxumus with the ATI3850 and a Q6600 and it seems perfom well for BR and HDDVD decoding & games too with DX10 and Vista. Are you sure the Asus p5w supports Quad core? most of what I see says its Dual core only.

Mike

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Look at the Sapphire 3850 fanless card if your case has room for it. If no games (or only a few non hard-core), I think the 3850 is probably ideal.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasteixt0120 /forum/post/13015760

do you think it would be worth it to get two of the 3870's if im only going to be watching movies not really playing video games or is one enough,

Why on earth would you get two of any videocard if you don't play games??? The sole purpose of Crossfiring or SLIing two cards is to improve gaming performance. Otherwise there really is no benefit (unless you're running them for multi-monitors).

Plus SLI or Crossfire takes up 2x the power, requires special power supplies (for higher end cards) and support on the motherboard. It's a pricey route to go and definitely unnecessary in your case.

Even getting a 3870x2 (or upcoming Nvidia 9800GX2) is a better idea than straight Crossfire or SLI. Because in these cases special motherboards and hardware aren't required yet you still get the power of two GPUs. Still you don't even need that--as someone else mentioned you'd probably be fine with a much cheaper videocard.

The rule of thumb really is never Crossfire or SLI if you don't have to. There are more issues than just hardware as you'll have to deal with driver issues from time to time as well. It really isn't worth it unless you need to play the very latest DX10 games and you're SLIing or Crossfiring two top-end cards. In this case you'd be a serious gamer though, which it doesn't seem like you are, so it's a pointless enterprise for you.

If playing only some games is required, a single 3850 or 3870 will be fine. If no gaming is required then you could go down to a 36x0 or 34x0 as well.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge /forum/post/13018761

Why on earth would you get two of any videocard if you don't play games??? The sole purpose of Crossfiring or SLIing two cards is to improve gaming performance. Otherwise there really is no benefit (unless you're running them for multi-monitors).

Plus SLI or Crossfire takes up 2x the power, requires special power supplies (for higher end cards) and support on the motherboard. It's a pricey route to go and definitely unnecessary in your case.

Even getting a 3870x2 (or upcoming Nvidia 9800GX2) is a better idea than straight Crossfire or SLI. Because in these cases special motherboards and hardware aren't required yet you still get the power of two GPUs. Still you don't even need that--as someone else mentioned you'd probably be fine with a much cheaper videocard.

The rule of thumb really is never Crossfire or SLI if you don't have to. There are more issues than just hardware as you'll have to deal with driver issues from time to time as well. It really isn't worth it unless you need to play the very latest DX10 games and you're SLIing or Crossfiring two top-end cards. In this case you'd be a serious gamer though, which it doesn't seem like you are, so it's a pointless enterprise for you.

If playing only some games is required, a single 3850 or 3870 will be fine. If no gaming is required then you could go down to a 36x0 or 34x0 as well.

Its only his 2nd post give him a break!

Mike

·
Registered
421 Posts
I too have been trying to figure out the best route for a new HTPC that I am building. As with the original poster, the majority of the duty for the video card will be DVD, Blu-ray, and HD-DVD playback. The only game that I really would like to be able to play is Flight Simulator X. In my current HTPC, I run a 7600GT and it can barely handle the game on low settings, and this is with an AMD dual-core processor and 2GB Ram.

What would be my best video card option for this?

The new HTPC is most likely going to have a quad core processor and 4GB RAM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts