AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my EVGA GT430 video card isn't powerful enough in my Htpc to run my 64" plasma tv. Lately I've been having a problem while watching live tv or movies, the picture and sound will go completely off and the tv will isplay no signal, as if the Htpc is off. I have to reboot the computer to get video/audio working again.

I opened up the computer case and the heat sink on the video card was very hot to the touch. The little fan was turning at a moderate speed. I thought maybe the case airflow wasn't great, so I left the top cover off to see if that would help. After watching a movie the heat sink still felt very hot. And I can feel air flowing thru the case, so I think airflow is decent.

I downloaded GPU- Z and it's reporting the gpu temps at 65*C. That seems very high!

I've RMA'd this video card 2x in the past because the cooking fan on the video had stopped turnung, causing overheating issues.

So I'm wonder if I need a better graphics card? Or better cooling? Maybe a new case?

My Htpc setup:

64" Samsung Plasma P64D8000

Silverstone LC20B case

Core i5-3550 3.3gHz

Gigabyte z77x-ud3h

8GB DDR3-1600 G. SKILL Ripjaws X

EVGA GT430 DDR3 1GB

2x HVR- 2250 OTA tuner cards

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

1x WD Black Caviar 1TB

2x WD Black Caviar 640GB

1x WD Blue Caviar 640GB

Win 7 Home 64bit

Lite-On Bluray writer

2x Arctic Cooler 90mm fans - intake

2x Arctic Cooler 80mm fans - exhaust

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750  /t/1420181/htpc-video-card-recommendation#post_22217690

I think my EVGA GT430 video card isn't powerful enough in my Htpc to run my 64" plasma tv. Lately I've been having a problem while watching live tv or movies, the picture and sound will go completely off and the tv will isplay no signal, as if the Htpc is off. I have to reboot the computer to get video/audio working again.

I opened up the computer case and the heat sink on the video card was very hot to the touch. The little fan was turning at a moderate speed. I thought maybe the case airflow wasn't great, so I left the top cover off to see if that would help. After watching a movie the heat sink still felt very hot. And I can feel air flowing thru the case, so I think airflow is decent.

I downloaded GPU- Z and it's reporting the gpu temps at 65*C. That seems very high!

I've RMA'd this video card 2x in the past because the cooking fan on the video had stopped turnung, causing overheating issues.

So I'm wonder if I need a better graphics card? Or better cooling? Maybe a new case?

My Htpc setup:

64" Samsung Plasma P64D8000

Silverstone LC20B case

Core i5-3550 3.3gHz

Gigabyte z77x-ud3h

8GB DDR3-1600 G. SKILL Ripjaws X

EVGA GT430 DDR3 1GB

2x HVR- 2250 OTA tuner cards

Samsung 830 128GB SSD

1x WD Black Caviar 1TB

2x WD Black Caviar 640GB

1x WD Blue Caviar 640GB

Win 7 Home 64bit

Lite-On Bluray writer

2x Arctic Cooler 90mm fans - intake

2x Arctic Cooler 80mm fans - exhaust

Why not use onboard Intel HD2500 video, supported by CPU/motherboard?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have an fanless Asus GT430 and it runs to my TV just fine, sounds like a bad video card. Top temp so far has been 56 degrees. Pretty much any integrated or even basic video card should be able to play 1080p no problem. I just had to add a video card because my HD3000 wouldn't play the mpeg4 channels on Cox and I like my DIYHD.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the Ivy Bridge 2500 IGP be able to handle mpeg2, bluray, and etc?

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750  /t/1420181/htpc-video-card-recommendation#post_22218132

Will the Ivy Bridge 2500 IGP be able to handle mpeg2, bluray, and etc?

Yes.

The only thing I think there is trouble with is h264 cable channels (cablecard/Cox). Some people have trouble with 29/59 content (cablecard/HBO... others) -- I don't with my HD2000.

Looks like you are all OTA, so I was surpised you bothered with the discrete nvidia 430.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM  /t/1420181/htpc-video-card-recommendation#post_22218145

Yes.

The only thing I think there is trouble with is h264 cable channels (cablecard/Cox). Some people have trouble with 29/59 content (cablecard/HBO... others) -- I don't with my HD2000.

Looks like you are all OTA, so I was surpised you bothered with the discrete nvidia 430.

I originally bought the GT430 to update my old Htpc setup. It was a C2D E6420 and LGA775. I wanted to wait for ivy bridge before redoing the whole thing.

So I don't need to worry about H.264 content?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking of swapping to the i5-3570k to get the hd4000 igp and selling the i5-3550. Would that handle everything I'm doing? I don't game on this computer.

·
Registered
151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott750  /t/1420181/htpc-video-card-recommendation#post_22218374

I originally bought the GT430 to update my old Htpc setup. It was a C2D E6420 and LGA775. I wanted to wait for ivy bridge before redoing the whole thing.

So I don't need to worry about H.264 content?

Normal h.264 content works fine on my system (by normal I mean from BD rips and such). The h.264 issues are happening with cablecard content for those using HDHRp and Ceton tuners. Try it, you'll probably like it... and you'll get rid of another heat-source in your HTPC.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Run Furmark : http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ with the stress test option, and see how hot the card goes. If it goes above 85 degrees, it`s not good. Usually GPUs have a max temp of about 85-90 degrees (Celsius)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts