AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To HTPC users with front projectors. I am curious. I looked through the HTPC Faqs but never really got a good feel for my next few questions.

1. How do you view the HTPC for tweaking and setup? I would think a regular video monitor rather than the projector (expensive bulbs) would work best here, for tasks such as loading software, and normal PC operation. If you are using a monitor, how are you interfacing with the HTPC and then to the projector?
  2. Are the monitors near the HTPC, in an AV center like a rack system or a cabinet or do many people just use the projector?
  3. Are you using items like "air keyboards" or just long cables to the keyboards (easy chair programming)?
  4. I would expect many installations, the HTPC is a fair distance from the Projector. How are you treating long VGA cable runs to the projector say up to 25’. Is there a much signal loss?[/list=a]

Thanks, Don

[This message has been edited by anderdea (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I use my projector for all use including tweaking etc... The only time I have done otherwise was playing with PowerStrip as a multisync monitor is better at handling weird T&R better than my PJ...

I use an Airboard IR keyboard all the time (this is not a general purpose box) and if tweaking, and do not want to be double checking each keypress, I move the keyboard within a couple of feet of the Rx unit... Ideally I would have RF and IR but waiting for a nice black cheap long range RF unit...

I am using a long EVC cable and have not been yet tried a EVC to VGA cable supposed to be a picture improvement but $$$... I would like to try first but not an option with any place I have seen so far...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I know what a VGA cable is but not sure what the acronym EVC stands for.

I would be building a HTPC that would be dedicated to my HT system but would also like it to serve as a big screen (G11) gaming machine.

After my original post, I talked to a friend and he reminded me that most good video cards have S-video out. I guess I could use my 32" monitor which is already in my AV cabinet (although I know the picture wouldn't be as good as a dedicated computer monitor) for initial set up and tweaking. My screen pulls down in front of my AV center for big screen viewing.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.