AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally am forced to post a question. I can usually find answers through the forms here. However, this time I am stumped and would like some input and suggestions. So, before anyone says read the forums, I have to the point of overload. I have seen and bookmarked so many threads, I have forgotten where I started.

By looking at the subject, you know this is a video distribution question.

Here is my current setup:

Theater room:

Sanyo PLVZ3000

Onkyo TX-SR606

Sony PS3

Sony BDP -S570 Bluray

Direct TV H21 - high definition receiver

Master Bedroom

Samsung Projection 47 1080i HDTV (will be replaced with LCD soon)

Sony BDP-S270 Bluray

Direct TV HR-22 receiver/DVR

Living Room

Samsung 32 480p (will be replaced with LCD soon)

Samsung BD-C5500

Direct TV standard definition receiver

I have a gigabit network, Linksys router, 1- 8 port switch, 1 -5port switch.

WD World Book Live 1TB.

I also have 2 WD TV Lives. (The reason I am considering HTPC, these things are just paper weights.)

What I want to do is:

Distribute DVD/Blu-ray throughout the areas mentioned.

What I would like to do:

Record like a PVR. I may be switching from Direct. Haven't decided. Cable in our area (Charter) is terrible (customer service and quality).

Could anyone guide me as to what I need to do? I was thinking: an HTPC at each display and a server, or just a server and a couple of clients. I really like the way Media Portal looks, but an HTPC at each destination gets expensive. If that is the only way to go, can someone recommend a system? I saw the HTPC build thread, but could not find a setup tutorial.

If it matters, would like to keep each HTPC around $400, but also want to keep quality, same for server (if possible).

Thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean from a rip.

As for the PS3, isn't there some loss in sound/picture? And I think I have read the interface stinks?

I am willing to try anything, the use of the device has to be pretty simple though. My wife loses interest if there are too many steps involved (i.e...WD TV Live), and we both like the layout of something like Media Portal. What did you have in mind? And thanks.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
SageTV server plus 2 extenders will do exactly what you want.

BB

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmix /forum/post/19563895

I mean from a rip.

As for the PS3, isn't there some loss in sound/picture? And I think I have read the interface stinks?

The interface isn't pretty on the PS3 but it works, just throwing that out as an option. If it were up to me and money was not an object, I'd have a PC at every location. That's my plan when I'm done, in fact the only rooms I have left are bedrooms. I had an HTPC built for my bedroom, then my daughter asked for a PC for Christmas. Oops!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K.
+1 for sage.

although I would recommend 3 extenders and run the sage server on a regular pc hidden somewhere. no need to build a htpc.
Can SAGETV run Bluray rips? What format? Can you have chapter and fast forward? That was one problem with WD TV LIVE. Are you recommending the SageTV HD Media Extender?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ
The interface isn't pretty on the PS3 but it works, just throwing that out as an option. If it were up to me and money was not an object, I'd have a PC at every location. That's my plan when I'm done, in fact the only rooms I have left are bedrooms. I had an HTPC built for my bedroom, then my daughter asked for a PC for Christmas. Oops!
That is what I was thinking too, but I might wait to see how much I use the system. Money is always an object, especially when trying to convince the wife. Thanks so much for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts