AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, can i get comparable resolution using my htpc vs. upgrading my denon 5900 with an sdi output and running the 5900 sdi into an iscan hd+? my projector is a sony vpl-hs3. my htpc specs are:

intel celeron 2.7 (likely upgrade to p4 3.06)

1 gb crucial pc2700 ddr ram

maxtor 160 gb hard drive

ati radeon 9600 pro

m-audio revolution 7.1 (likely upgradeing to chaintech av-710)

samsung dvd drive

will run zoom player pro with sonic dvd filter pack and ffdshow. obviously the htpc upgrades will be the cheapest route. anybody have an ideas? thanks much.

kevin t

·
Registered
885 Posts
The resolution will be the same as it is limited by the standard definition DVD's.

With that caliber of stb, you won't gain anything with a HTPC picture quality wise if DVD remains your primary source. You will likely even lose some small degree of panning smoothness and video-based content quality (deinterlacing).

Also, the Sonic filters are not the best available for picture quality in my mind - they appear to be grainy and drab to me. Nvidia or Dscaler filters are considered the 'best'.

As I am not familiar with your particular digital, I'll mention that with some digital projectors 1:1 mapping with an HTPC can be helpful.

You can always experiment - it won't cost you anything.

Even if you decide to use the HTPC for it's additional flexibility, it is highly unlikely you will need to upgrade unless you decide that intensive post-processing or certain inefficient high definition formats are in the cards.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
source would be 90% dvd. i guess i'll start saving my pennies toward the sdi upgrade and new iscan vp30.

kevin t

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
You can see a better picture with a dvd movie but you will have to used something like dvd idle or anydvd this will let you view the dvd high then the 720x480 dvd setting if you have your lets say at 1280 x 720 with out dvd idle or anydvd it wont be view that high because of the code on the dvd but running dvd ldle with let you view it at 1280 x720 or when ever setting you have it set too. a hometheater pc will be better and cheaper. htpc( record hdtv,save dvd, music etc..... check out what all windows media center can do. it cost if yoget it pre made but you can build your own at about 1/2 the price. pc htpc can play wmv-hd dvd too,dvd audio you name it , it can do it plus you can dvr tv show i have my to my dish network 811 and cable tv recording everything if you like i could send pic of my setup with pic of the tv show and everything.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt9450
You can see a better picture with a dvd movie but you will have to used something like dvd idle or anydvd this will let you view the dvd high then the 720x480 dvd setting if you have your lets say at 1280 x 720 with out dvd idle or anydvd it wont be view that high because of the code on the dvd but running dvd ldle with let you view it at 1280 x720 or when ever setting you have it set too.
The macrovision restriction only applies to component dongles.(both Nvidia&ATi)

I use VGA to my TV and can upcovert DVD's to 1080i w/o using anydvd or dvd43....

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
"m-audio revolution 7.1 (likely upgradeing to chaintech av-710)"

AV-710 would be considered a downgrade by many. However there may be reasons for wanting the AV710 I guess... for instance if you don't need analog output and the Revo 7.1 is giving you driver issues (I'm not up to date on this stuff as I use my Revo 5.1 for analog only and so care naught for digital output).

What is it about your setup that you would like improved? Please be specific as it helps identify where the best improvement can be had dollar wise.

Cheers...

Duy-Khang Hoang

·
Registered
923 Posts
Or you could get your STB upgraded with SDI output, then purchase an SDI input card for you current PC, and let DScaler4 handle all your pulldown, deinterlacing, processing and pixel mapping needs. That way, you're current PC will do all the work but only for the cost of the SDI gear. The iScan would cost alot more.

Kensai

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.