AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of claims that HTPC is better than Faroudja. I read in the CRT forum that the stacked Vidikrons with the Faroudja 5000 that WM set up was the best image anyone had seen. I wish some one would have been able to try it out with an HTPC (I think WM is a HTPC user).

Has any one done a comparison with a properly set up HTPC?

What are the differences in the picture?

Is one clearly better than the other? or are they just different?

I'm just curious, I can't afford Faroudja anyway.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Registered
876 Posts
Jay,

I need to get together with Deniz Mutlu again. When I do I'll see if he wants me to bring my HTPC (Asus V6800 Deluxe, 733mhz PIII, etc) and compare it against his Faroudja 3000 through his TAW HD-800 CRT projector. I think it will be very close on film based material. I have no doubt that the Faroudja will win hands down on video based material. I can set up the comparison in the next week or so.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Jay:

We conducted this exact comparison for the magazine (SGHT). Sorry that I can't give the results until it's published!

But I must add: someone I spoke with at CEDIA, very well known in the HT industry, pulled me aside to tell me how blown away he was by his first experience with a good HTPC. It's slowly gaining credibility among the establishment.

Best regards,

Pat

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Hey Pat,

I am assuming that SGHT stands for 'Stereophile's Guide to Home Theater'.

I have two suggestions for the magazine:

1. More video component reviews and less audio components.

2. Do you your color calibrations with color coordinate system (like HT magazine) not simply color temperature.

Regards,

Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Banned
455 Posts
Mr. Wiggles:

Thanks for the suggestions; I will pass them along. I'm working toward adding some useful objective testing measurements to our subjective tests of HTPC-related products, especially video cards.

Jay:

Hi, yes that is me. Glad you enjoy the column and are happy with your HTPC. It is amazing, the price/performance ratio of these things, isn't it? Your feelings on working with Alan echo everyone I've spoken to that has dealt with him: he's a great guy to work with. And yes, the forum is fantastic. I believe it's the best "brain trust", with Mark R. at the helm, on the Internet. It will be a bit longer than six weeks for that comparison to come out, unfortunately.

Best,

Pat

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Pat,

Are you the Pat that writes the HTPC section in SGTH? I was so excited to see that first article that I decided to build my own HTPC. That new section gave me the feeling that HTPC has some credibility. Ever since the Philips computer/processor/line doubler/progressive DVD came out a few years ago I liked the idea of having a PC in the home theater. Then Joe Kane spoke highly of the RKR pc in Widescreen Review. And now my favorite mag (SGTH) has embraced the idea! Then I found AVS forum and learned how to build one and also I got a great projector for a very good price from Alan.

Too bad I have to wait six weeks or more to get the results! I would love to see a very detailed explanation of the HTPC calibration process in the article.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks also Bill and Steve for the reply and link to the other thread!

Jay

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi Jay,

Since you're ahead of me in the search of HTPC, can you pass along your knowledge :)

I'm novice to PC but my brother can help me put it together if I have a software/hardware list. If you can come up with the list of the latest available hardware/software or if you can point me to some links

Pat, I can't wait for your articles - so if you can help me on this

FYI, I'll use the HTPC to feed my NEC PG9100

Thanks

Thuan

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thuan,

First of all I'm no expert, but I have spent WAY too much time reading this forum.

I must say that after building my HTPC and adding up the total cost to do it right I realized that I should have just bought a turn-key HTPC from www.digitalconnection.com They have very good prices and world class customer service.

If you do a search you can find the several parts lists that people recommend. But here is what I think for September 2000:

Black Desktop case from digital connection (not cheap, but looks great and is very quiet)

DC Pro 24/96 from digital connection (includes Power DVD)

Black DVD and Floppy drive (I don't know the best brand DVD, but a slow one will be quieter)

IBM 5400 rpm hard drive (only 5400 to be quiet)

GeForce2 GTS video card

128 megs of brand name memory

ABIT or ASUS motherboard with 440bx chipset

PIII 700 or greater

Philips ir keyboard from www.prontoedit.com (it costs $99 , but works much better than the $50 Airboard that most people use)

win98 SE (or winME if you feel brave http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif )

I hope this helps,

Jay M

P.S. How do like you PG9100?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
I must say that after building my HTPC and adding up the total cost to do it right I realized that I should have just bought a turn-key HTPC
Jay, you can't be serious. Building an HTPC is fun. And along the way you get to learn so much about video and PCs. I would not trade the experience for anything. And it makes a great hobby. Sure you can get in trouble, but that is part of the thrill. Anyway we have this great forum to bail us out if something goes wrong. My advice is build it yourself and have some fun no matter what the parts cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.