AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong or what but I really can't see a difference between the two. My setup goes as follows-57SWX20B connected to my htpc using a dvi d cable and running my desktop at 1920x540 , I have software like power dvd, win dvd, zoomplayer, dscaler etc installed. I have done a split screen playing the same movie and see no real difference in picture quality. My main question is, am I expecting to much or am I doing something wrong any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a dvp-ns700, which is a bit older, but the difference between the two (theatertek dvd player vs the sony) is like night and day.

for comparison, I and a bunch of friends took our copies of Lord of the Rings and chose an arbitrary frame (in this case, one of the orcs in the first battle scene, where its face fills the screen). on the htpc, I could count the hairs on it's chin (five), and see all kinds of detail. Not so with the sony. At this point, the only movies worth watching on the dvd player are those where it doesn't matter, like Four Weddings and a Funeral, which looks like a vhs tape no matter how much I tweak it.

I've connected via 15 pin connector to an lcd projector (nec 540). the dvd player goes through an audio authority transcoder, component to 15-pin. the a/b switch is a belkin kvm switch.

so yeah. I'd start with making sure you've got all your pixel on your screen. can you do 1080i? even tho it's interlaced, it's still 1080 lines. The next thing is to make sure you're watching a movie worth making the distinction with; basically, if it has dts (gladiator, etc), it will most likely have the attention to compression to display in a large format. If it's a movie like The Princess Bride, Spaceballs, etc, I wouldn't expect much of an improvement.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At a 1920x540 resolution the tv's info shows a input of 1080i, isn't that the maximum resolution that I can get ? and by the way I have tried 1920x1080 and the screen just goes into some weird interlace mode.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.