AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice since I have a Wintel background (installed RH once, then barely used it after booting it a few times)

I kinda need to know if my ideas here are way out in left field or if this is 'what you do'-- has ANYONE else done this with the Mitsu internal tuner sets with firewire?? If so, I NEED TO TALK to you! I've found there's a real lack of information about ANYTHING that claims it will communicate over the legendary Mitsu firewire/HAVi comm port... Which is why I am pursuing this avenue.

I just acquired a Mitsubishi WS65711 (which may be replaced with the WS65813). Both models have *internal* HD tuners and firewire ports. And they are HAVi compatible-- but that is not likely to help this issue. They have the abilitiy to send the HD signal (video, audio, control, I am told) over the firewire).

HERE'S A STARTING QUESTION-- SINCE the firewire port from the TV then would already be passing a compressed datastream into the firewire port on the Linux box... in theory, the Linux box could be run without a video card if there were adequate gui feedback on the TV, correct? I mean, all it has to do is store the incoming datastream to disk-- it does not have to do any signal conversion...

LINUX CONFIG- I think the best config for the OS would be to go as stripped down as possible (again-- I am not real familiar with Linux here)-- I am hoping that the 1394 support does not require X for example--

NEXT-- IS this an oddball way of doing things, or is this a vanilla approach? Since I am a very beginner in Linux, if stuff is gonna need tweaking I may end up in the nuthouse before getting it properly configged.

OTHER OPTIONS

* Would like to make the system geared to be a media server for both video source and audio; initially a disk based VCR for HD and SD broadcast recording and playback

* Not sure if it would be feasible to build the PC headless if I wanted to be able to burn a DVD from recordings--and edit out commercials.

* Also thought it would be nice to run the OS off CD (this is me being paranoid about having a software problem-- if I burn a known good copy of the OS to cd I wont have to worry about blowing a drive).

* Have a way to load music CDs into the server. This has been a fantasy of mine for a while; to get the stacks of unsightly CDs out of my living room.

THEN all I have to find is an AV receiver and DVD player that ALSO has firewire capabilities that can talk to this media server *and* plays nice with the Mitsu-- and I believe I am all set

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't believe what you want to do is possible. It's relying on a lot of untested technologies to work together. I'm pretty sure the Linux part wouldn't be a problem (saving compressed mpeg2 stream to disk) but the rest would be (firewire receiver, firewire dvd player, sending mpeg2 out of mits firewire).

Here's an alternative that does work. Use the Linux htpc for everything. There is an hdtv card with Linux drivers now. You can use that to store the streams. Then you can play the streams on the htpc through the mits. You'll have access to all the songs on the hard drive, and you can even play dvds. All you would need is a good sound card to hook up to a normal receiver.

If you're looking to store encrypted hdtv streams (like hbo hd, showtime hd) check out 169time.com for firewire solutions.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Knoppix (or branch from them) could easily do the boot from CD. I'm uncertain about your firewire questions though. Probably depends upon the stream from the WS65711 since Linux can use firewire drives.

Why not install an off the shelf Linux and don't load X on boot. Sure it will take up disk space, but space is pretty cheap now.

You'll certainly need a screen until all this is working. Then just disconnect the screen, keyboard and mouse. It will still run (as long as the BIOS is set to boot without a keyboard).

Some links for ya to look through. Why not post a question to them since they at least have a clue about firewire streams.

\\ http://www.tele.ucl.ac.be/PEOPLE/DOU...e1394/cameras/

Coriander is a full-featured GUI for IEEE1394, IIDC-compliant (aka DCAM) digital cameras. It includes camera control, video display, saving, FTP and V4L export.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/coriander

libdc1394 is a library that is intended to provide a high level programming interface for application developers who wish to control IEEE 1394 based cameras that conform to the 1394-based Digital Camera Specification (found at http://www.1394ta.org/ ).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libdc1394/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.