AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently joined the NEC LT150 bandwagon. It arrives next week. I can't wait. Now I am looking at getting a laptop pc for HTPC. I know very little about pc's. What factors affect dvd viewing. What are the minimum requirements? I am looking at a toshiba3005-s303 w/ 850mHz, Geforce, 128MB. Is this adequate. How do I hook it up to the projector, and A/V rcvr?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Dan,

Try looking in the Home Theater Computers area on this forum. You will find a lot of information there on HTPC's.

The audio out from the HTPC or DVD player is what you need to connect to the AV receiver by digital coax or optical. I would go with coaxial, cheaper and not as fragile as the optical. Keep the projector and source(HTPC/DVD) close together. This will make the video connection wire short which will help with the quality and you won't need to shell out extra money for a long video cable.

Hope this helps a bit.

------------------

Todd

---------------------

-scan-lines-annoy-me-

---------------------

·
Registered
267 Posts
I recently (last April) built an HTPC after months of reading the HTPC forum. While I am a software developer, I'd never built a PC from scratch before. I documented the process in pictures if you're interested in a step-by-step guide. Follow the HTPC link in my signature.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by camoura:
tlastrange,

Do you know how to get 1024x576 72Hz using the radeon and the LT150 ???

Thanks ??
It's on my list of things to try but I haven't got around to it. I've got a 4:3 screen so I run native 1024x768.

------------------

Tom L.

NEC LT150 FAQ

My stuff, pictures, HTPC, and screen tests

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to thank everyone for the helpful input. After investigating further, I've come to realize that certain people should just avoid computers. Some people enjoy the challenge. Thank you, but being a father/husband is challenge enuf. I want simplicity (and a cold pint to go w/ it) So, I am going to test out the p-scan dvd first. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dan

·
Registered
408 Posts
Tom, I just wanted to say thanks for your excellent description of how to build an HTPC. A picture-or in this case, pictures-are certainly worth a thousand words. Especially the control panel shots.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Don't worry about not going the HTPC route. Although I do believe that the difference is worth the effort, I think you will be quite pleased with a progressive scan player and the LT150. I have seen this projector back and forth with both sources.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.