AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the other day I plugged my PC into my new 42" Toshy LCD and fired up a few of my games. After picking my jaw up off the floor I decided I want to hook my PC up to the tv permanently. Now here's my problem; My pc stays across the room, probably about 25 feet. My wife watches the TV of course so I need to keep my pc at my desk so I can still use it while the "uber-screen" in unavailable. I found a 25' (50' is also an option) VGA to VGA cable that seems like its going to work for the video, and a 3.5mm to RCA cable for the audio bit. However I'm stuck on what to do with the keyboard and mouse. I would like to run an extension usb cable over to where I will be in front of the TV, however USB can only run about 16 feet before crapping out. I could use wireless (my mouse is already wireless) but I really like my current wired keyboard for gaming reasons, plus I'm not so sure an RF keyboard/mouse will work well from 25+ feet. Any suggestions what to do about input devices? I pretty much have to leave the PC where it is so moving it closer is out of the question. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrage /forum/post/0


I was wondering if that would work; so what if I ran a 16' passive cable from the pc to a self powered hub and then another cable from the powered hub to a passive two port hub? maybe 25 feet all together. Probably still see some signal loss.

Yup, there will be signal loss and your I/O will be sluggish. There are active USB cables longer than 16' available. I have one that is..er..100'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone /forum/post/0


Yup, there will be signal loss and your I/O will be sluggish. There are active USB cables longer than 16' available. I have one that is..er..100'

No, I don't think there would be cable loss for 15' passive cable + hub + 15' passive cable.


I have a 15' cable going to a hub, and I have game controllers with long cables (not 15' though) hooked up to the hub with no problems...even though the total length exceeds USB specs.


Either 15 + hub + 15 or 15 + active 15 should work for the OP's application.


I'm not sure what a passive hub added to that system would do, though.


Ozy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0


No, I don't think there would be cable loss for 15' passive cable + hub + 15' passive cable.


I have a 15' cable going to a hub, and I have game controllers with long cables (not 15' though) hooked up to the hub with no problems...even though the total length exceeds USB specs.


Either 15 + hub + 15 or 15 + active 15 should work for the OP's application.


I'm not sure what a passive hub added to that system would do, though.


Ozy


The passive hub at the end of the line would act as a splitter basically so I can plug in my keyboard, mouse, wheel, etc all at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,156 Posts
Yeah, I'm just not sure that 15' cable + active hub + 15' cable + passive hub + cables to keyboard/mouse/etc... will exceed the limited of USB. If you put an active hub at the end instead of a passive hub, you may have better results.


Or, if you shorten the cable between the hubs to 6-10', that may help.


Ozy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy666 /forum/post/0


Yeah, I'm just not sure that 15' cable + active hub + 15' cable + passive hub + cables to keyboard/mouse/etc... will exceed the limited of USB. If you put an active hub at the end instead of a passive hub, you may have better results.


Or, if you shorten the cable between the hubs to 6-10', that may help.


Ozy

I was having a stupid moment there. What I'm going to try is a 16' active cable to a self powered hub and thats it. Maybe two 16' active cables if need be. I read some reviews on Monoprice of people daisy chaining them and getting good results.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top