The obstacles are in sight - -

As I spend hours making the MyHTPC Sing

Girder pass the codes

Rip the CDs and DVDs

Record the shows on AccessDTV

Adjust the resolution with Powerstrip

Fire up the DVDs with TheaterTek

The end is near!

I can not rip or even play the best sounding music (SACD or DVD-A)

------And I want the best out of my high performance audio system

I can not get on Demand HDTV Satellite and Cable which will eventually outstip DVD rentals

------Because I want the best looking movies I can get

We will see what happens with High Def DVDs but I do not hold out hope that we will be able to view them on a computer any more then SACD can be played on a computer

So what is left for the HTPC in great control, super cool functionality and reasonable costing components, for second class music and movies.

Oh crap

·
Registered
202 Posts
heathen! get thee from my sight. :mad:

:p

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Clearly, for the masses, the PC will primarily provide command and control function, because it's just too hard for them to create a PC that performs and is stable for the HTPC job. That might change if hardware starts being added as a standard feature that makes HTPC functionality less dependent on environmental features. But, to me, the PC's job in the HT and the home (other than it's other obvious uses) are as part of the command and control system, and I don't say that just because I sell a control system :)

It'll continue to be of use to advanced users, and probably some companies will create what appear to be appliances but are PCs inside (of of which are already out there), but in a form that makes it not have the advantages or disadvantages of a general purpose PC.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think that there are two completely different types of HTPC users.

People with PC's with really big displays.

People with really big TV's with a PC hooked up to it.

My PC has a 130" display

·
Registered
163 Posts
Then there's all the data that says just the opposite....

The uptake on SACD or DVD-A is miniscule and WMA and MP3 ripping and burning are wildly popular...BuyMusic.com, the new Napster, and a host of other on-line music stores are making standalone players and physical distribution a historical artifact. Oh, and DVD-A can be played on your HTCP (Creative Labs Audigy 2).

The first HD DVD-ROM content to market can only be played on a PC using Windows Media Video 9. MovieLink.com, CinemaNow, and others have more full length feature movies for download than the entire D-VHS DTheater catalog.

Samsung, Marantz, and others use a WinXP MCE HTPC to drive their DLP projectors at VSDA and CEDIA instead of a standalone player.

Yes, I admit the usability must be improved. But WindowsXP Media Center Edition is a harbinger of things to come, and in many aspects already has a better UI than the three different devices it replaces (and does way more than just PVR, DVD, and CD on top of that).

I think the HTPC is hardly dead, but instead "the best is yet to come".

:)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Quote:
The first HD DVD-ROM content to market can only be played on a PC using Windows Media Video 9.
Yep, that's because you can't even play a .wav file on the Mac version. The technological know-how at Microsoft is amazing. I hear they fixed the installer after only 2 years of complaints. :(

·
Registered
327 Posts
My 4 year old son tonight all by himself switched the HTPC from internet radio to ZoomPlayer and chose his Aristocats movie from a list of ripped (and unscratchable) DVDs, all from a few clicks of the remote. So proud. It took some work to get this setup, but it is work that is only possible with HTPC. Switching apps switches the CircleSound II off and sets the revo to direct sound. Also the video mode switches to 1440x480 and he's off to the races.

My HTPC is here to stay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."

- Popular Mechanics, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processings is a fad that won't last out the year."

- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice-Hall, 1957

"But what...is it good for?"

- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."

- Ken Olson (President of Digital Equipment Corporation), Convention of the World Future Society in Boston, 1977

"640k ought to be enough for anybody."

- Bill Gates

·
Registered
235 Posts
Seems to me the most serious impediment to the development of HTPC's right now is the incredible reluctance of the dinosaurs at movie, music and TV companies to join the modern world...if we had standards and content available in those standards for high-quality audio and video (as those of us willing to set up a decent HTPC know can be done), then the market for consumer-friendly entertainment PC's would be a real possibility.

·
Registered
286 Posts
SACD, DVDAudio, HD cable, and even HD satellite are still in the early-adoption phase. As they get more common, methods for doing them easily on the computer will come along. Resistance from content producers may slow it a bit, but I don't believe it will prevent it.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
I think the HTPC is hardly dead, but instead "the best is yet to come".
Depends on what you think 'best' is. If 'best' means appeals to the largest majority of consumers, maybe so. But for most of the folks here, the best is not to come, because what they consider best is a toy that they can play with to their heart's content and do things with that are going to be come very difficult to do in the future.

There is no significantly sized market for the HTPC in the form that you guys think of it. That doesn't mean that multi-media capabilties won't continue to grow in the PC as shipped to Joe Blow. But that's not the same as an HTPC as it's thought of here. The only way you'll get an HTPC into a large number of hands in a form such that it is the heart of a home theater is to make it not an HTPC by our local standards, but to turn it into an appliance, which does not have the flexibility of a PC, but also therefore is far more stable and easy to use.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the Generation Y factor. Every student these days has a computer and uses it for everything that he/she does not use a mobile phone for: music (main application), work, DVDs, photography, internet. These guys are used to a computer acting as a media centre, in some cases it is the only music machine they have (especially if they have one of these: http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=398 ). The most popular downloaded program in the world is CDEX, the free CD ripper.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What I foresee , at least for the masses anyway, is one of two possiblities....1. a 'consumer' all-in-one pre packaged HTPC with a scaled back, easy to use interface where minimal setup is necessary, or 2. service providers offering HTPC services for a montly fee ...and your 'HTPC' would reside somewhere across town and be piped to you via a high speed connection. You would essentially be paying for the space to hold all your stuff, remotely.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Nobody has mentioned the Generation Y factor. Every student these days has a computer and uses it for everything that he/she does not use a mobile phone for: music (main application), work, DVDs, photography, internet
Unfortunately, when it comes to building a market and the product income that requires, Generation Y also has a habit of just stealing what they want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scottatl
HTPC will not be a serious part of HT in the future
It is tough to be the pioneer.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What an ignorant statement. Anyone who doesn't think more and more people will be plugging their PCs into their new digital TVs is nuts. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years the Internet becomes the primary delivery system for television, while cable and satellite providers become nothing more than ISPs.

I think that that home theaters w/o HTPCs will an extreme rarity in 10 years, but the term "HTPC" will definitely go away. I never liked it myself anyways. 5 years ago I had an NLX PC w/ a Creative Labs DXR2 hooked up to my TV and used Winamp, etc., and controlled it with evation's IRMan. Sure, my roommates called it a "pain in the ass", but nobody ever called it an HTPC. It's almost an arrogant term, and I think it was invented (the term that is) to give it more prestige for the non-technical CE snobs.

This is how I see it, and how everyone will eventually see it. A PC is a PC, whether people control it from a couch or a desk chair. A monitor is a monitor, whether it's a 17" desktop monitor or a 60" "television". Once everyone has digital TVs, and they all have video cards can plug into them w/o any hassle, this will happen. Plugging a PC into a TV will be no stranger to average folks then plugging a camcorder into a TV.

And trust me. Even if I'm wrong, as long as computer games exist there will be an enormous amount of people doing it regardless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
Unfortunately, when it comes to building a market and the product income that requires, Generation Y also has a habit of just stealing what they want.
:confused:

Wow! That's a completely ignorant statement.

I guess you don't work in product development/marketing and realize that Gen-Y will be just as big or even bigger than the Baby Boomer generation. If you produce product and want to be doing so in 10-15 years, you should really pay more attention to them...

Some reading for you.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two posts in a row starting off with 'that was an ignorant statement'

Come on play nice, have a debate

this is an interesting topic and two sides can be flushed out

As for the response to my 'Ignorant statement'

In this forum an HTPC is not just a computer that we hook up to a TV and play games with, it is a way that we can manipulate popular formats of video and audio and maximize the user interface.

Yes, computers will be hooked up to TVs, but that does not make it a powerful device.

It needs to play the best stuff and output it in the best way to the audio and video system. That is what is in danger.

mnkynifefite pointed out that the computer has overcome many obstacles, however it is facing a new one. All of the obstacles in the past have been natural.

- can technology advance -

- are there good applications for the technology -

Today we face a man made obstacle

- will the best technology open itself up for use on a computer -

1 - 20 of 142 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.