Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Can anyone tell me if I need to have an LCD TV that says it specifically works with a PC or has a PC inpuct in order to use it as a second monitor, as well as a TV?

I'm looking at the Panasonic TC-32LX50 specifically and it makes no mention of compatability with a PC, but I'm thinking as long as I have a video card that has DVI or Component outputs (or use an VGA adapter) I should just be able to plug and play. Is there something I'm missing, or is it better (i.e. more seamless) if I just stick to those TV's that market themselves as PC friendly (i.e. Samsung, Sony, etc)?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is europe model TX32-LX500 has also d-sub (vga) input for pc use. Also manual mentions that hdmi is only for hd use but i think ppl have used hdmi-dvi cable just fine.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
There are three reasons why a specific TV may not work well connected to a computer.

TVs are designed with overscan. This means they cut off a small amount of the picture on all four sides in order to compensate for slight differences in the broadcast signals. If you can't compensate for this, important parts of the desktop like the Start button and the taskbar may be off the screen.

TVs are designed for home theater resolutions: 640x480, 1280x720, 1920x1080. They don't necessarily have good/any support for other common computer resolutions.

TVs don't need as much resolution as computer displays. If you were to try using an 852x480 EDTV as a computer monitor, you might find that text is impossibly blurry.

My Panasonic (it is an earlier model than the one you mentioned) is totally unusable as a computer monitor due to reasons 1 and 2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know Marty - thanks for the insight. I'm taking from that that I should probably stick to either the new Samsung or Sony.

Just curious though - how will the computer display 1386x780 (not sure if I got this res right)?

Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.