AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys

im new to HTPC world so excuse me for asking such a basic question.

im looking to buy a slim HTPC with lowest power consumption.i will be using it just for online videos i.e youtube, hulu and netflix on my HDTV. I 'll be playing contents for atleast 4-5 hours per day. I do not want other high end stuff B-Ray/DVD disc in it.( So Just a browser and good video card with DVI/HDMI would do the trick for me.)

Please guide me what should i choose??I have been looking at shuttle x27

( http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail.jsp?PI=1153 )

Is this somthing that fit my needs?? its slim and doesn't take much space.Is replacing its video card would make any difference??

Appreciate your input on this.

thx

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you just build a regular (vs super low power PC) it will pull 75 - 100 watts. A 780G mobo with a 45 W CPU will do nicely. Then set it up to suspend (sleep) automatically. While asleep it will draw about 1 watt. If you are using 4 - 5 hrs per day and it is suspended for 19 - 20 hrs a day your power consumption for a week will be a maximum of 3.5 kwhr per week or about 70 cents (assuming a very expensive power cost of $0.20 per kwh) = $35 per year. Even if you build a super low power rig you can save half of the annual power usage or

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Atom + ION is underpowered for Hulu at 1920x1080 (at least under the current Flash Player).

·
Registered
45 Posts
My system consists of a AMD 4850e CPU and mini-itx motherboard with onboard geforce 8200. Using a 2.5" hdd.

I've also got a picoPSU (96% efficient and totally silent).

My idle power draw is 30w and 1080p mkv playback comes in around 45w.

Is the Ion/Atom combo really 70w? That seems high to me.

Also, my cpu is capable of decoding 1080p content on its own (without utilising graphics card). Using gpu does have advantage of cooler and quieter running though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Ion is the most power effective platform there is (that can handle "basic" 1080p), but if you want to play "anything" you'll probably be better off with one of the upcomming 785G motherboards in combination with one of the upcomming 45w CPUs. You could always go for the present 4850e or one of its siblings, but you'll be better off waiting for the 3 of 4 cores. There is also the Sempron 140 which is a singlecore, but atleast it's AM3.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
dell studio slim. integrated graphics and a 250w ps, so it doesn't draw much.

get this power setting program (linked below), i installed it two nights ago, and my pc goes into s3+ hybrid sleep an stays there no matter what, the power button button the remote puts and wakes the pc. It wakes to do its updates and recording and then falls back to sleep...

http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministerjee /forum/post/16911120

guys

im new to HTPC world so excuse me for asking such a basic question.

im looking to buy a slim HTPC with lowest power consumption.i will be using it just for online videos i.e youtube, hulu and netflix on my HDTV. I 'll be playing contents for atleast 4-5 hours per day.

thx

HULU and Netflix take quite a bit of horsepower. You'll need a good CPU.

I'm still not sure about the gfx card part of the equation. I'll be testing that out in the next few days.

Mike

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'm seeing several recommendations, did you guys note the OP plans on using the system for HULU and Netflix playback. Are the recommended builds going to produce smooth playback?

Have you guys had such success with the described systems?

Mike

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Mike;

That's why I suggested the Zotac 9300 thread. A powerful system can be built while still being small and quiet. I don't HULU but have read it can be CPU intensive. Besides, a more powerful system is never bad once the OP decides to use it for other tasks.

Peter

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_311 /forum/post/16914449

my studio plays it fine...

This is interesting, does the studio come with any special customizations? Also I seem to remember that the folks who reported having smooth HULU on a low end GPU part had X4500HD based parts. 4 People from the smooth hulu thread.

Mike

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
if it did i destroyed it with the win7 install...im using a vista driver graphics driver that is a piece of crap in win7 too...

I don't get entirely smooth hulu, but it is pretty close, for instance on the intro to the daily where it does the float in pan into the studio i might get 1 or 2 dropped frames... and only becuase i am looking for them, i watched a movie on hulu desktop the other day and i forgot to keep looking after i got into the movie and i didn't notice anything..

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used one of the Zotac 9300 ITX boards and some relatively powerful components for an HTPC and general use PC for my sister.

When updating the bios I noted there were 2 *new* versions, meant for different PCB versions. I did some quick research, and this was the gist of what I got. The newest version apparently hasn't hit the market yet, I think it was "03", but I believe the main addition is the ability to usb wake from s3 sleep- something that can't be done with previous PCB releases. If this is indeed the case, the new version could be something to hold out for. This also means that using sleep modes could be more difficult with older versions. I haven't been able to play with my sisters' pc in detail yet though.

I'm sure there is more detailed and accurate information in that thread, but the product threads become so long that I find myself avoiding them.

I do highly recommend that board though, as it is a great feature set in a tiny package- perfect for a low profile HTPC. I loved it, and am considering using one myself in the near future. I used a silverstone low profile CPU fan/heatsink with it which was also near silent, so coupled with a pico PSU you could have a powerful, yet inexpensive and quiet system. As Peter mentioned, who knows what you may use it for down the road, or what newer tasks you might be able to accomplish if it's built slightly more powerful now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.