AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a sharp picture with my Vodoo 3000 and my SONY KP53-HS10 HDTV. The Windows Desktop is always blurry and I can't get it into Yx540. It doesn't like 540 and will only do 480. Has anyone had any luck with this setup?

I am using Win 2000 Pro, Powerstrip, PowerDVD, Vodoo 3000.

Thanks,

Nav

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello Nav,

Two problems.

1). For most RPTVs, the calibration and overall convergence out of the box is poor. People are used to seeing poor performance with interlaced video (NTSC), so it's not unusual that the set isn't even adequately converged for the effective single frame interlaced resolution, which is only 240 scan lines.

To solve your blurriness will probably require a touch up of mechanical and electrical focus, and a careful convergence using the service menus. For that you'll want to pop for a factory service menu; I've done that for every set I've bought- it definitely pays off.

You don't mention how you're connecting the computer to the TV- if you're using S-Video, that will be an interlaced source, and will reduce chroma resolution and blur the picture.

The Voodoo 3DFx cards are not suited to HTPC for two reasons. One, they don't support custom resolutions. In my recollection the Voodoo 3 series do support a few 16X9 resolutions like 848X480, 1280X720, but they aren't programmable in the driver structure. PowerStrip won't get you anywhere.

Second, the Voodoo series has really poor overlay performance/settings; peak whites aren't any more than about 80IRE, and if you use the scaling, it gets even muddier and lower contrast. Not a good solution.

Much better results would be with a Matrox G400, a GeForce MX, or Radeon LE, if you need to stay on a budget.

Regards,

Jon

·
Registered
645 Posts
Jon - Just a small but important correction: the Voodoo drivers do support custom timings and resolutions under both Win9x and Win2K, and feature full discrete RGB gamma corrected overlays to boot...

The chips do not, however, support interlacing at all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.