AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through the FAQs, and noticing that everyone seems to run their HTPC to a receiver. Is there some reason that it's not possible/feasible/realistic to just run a 5.1 sound card and a good set of PC speakers, (Klipsch, logitech, etc) rather than going through a receiver?

I was looking at putting together a HTPC on the cheap as a DVD/MP3 player for my living room, and figure I must be missing something if everyone else is doing something different.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
996 Posts
There is nothing stopping you from using powered PC speakers. I think that most people here are quite serious about their home theater system, and PC speakers just don't measure up. I myself have Klipsch 4.1 computer speakers for my game system, and Paradigm Reference speakers plus Sony receiver as part of my home theater, and there is simply no comparison.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It is certainly possible to run a 5-7.1 soundcard to a set of PC speakers. I prefer not to go that route simply because I have yet to hear any set of 5-7.1 PC speakers that sound good to me. The only good thing going for PC speakers that I see, is that they're cheap.. that's about it. (I've heard very good 2/2.1 setups though)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have my big bad HT speakers in the HT. But in my bedroom, I didn't want the extra components and large speakers cluttering up things. After all, I can go watch LOTR in the theatre. But sometimes I like to watch a comedy or other light fare before I go to bed. So for me, I chose a set of Klipsch 2.1 speakers matched with an M-Audio Revo. I'm perfectly happy with them. They sound awesome and do everything I want them to do for only 100 bucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I.M. Flecther, I have the same basic setup as you. Full 5.1 setup with all the troubles associated with it (size, cables, amp) in the home theatre, and a simple tidy setup for my personal workstation. I too, use a Revolution 7.1, and usually have it running to my Headroom Cosmic amp + AKG headphones for music. If I feel that I want speakers for whatever reason, then I hook in my old 2.1 Bose setup. *Puts on a flame suit* My excuse: I got my Bose Acoustimass Multimedia speakers around 10 years ago when I didn't know a whole lot about speakers and audio. To be honest, however, they're good speakers and easily outperform at least 90-95%+ of all 2.1/5.1 computer setups that I've heard. They're not perfect, and they were significantly overpriced (more than my HT speakers+amp), but hey.. they do a great job and I don't plan on replacing them unless they die on me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the thoughts on the matter. I certainly wouldn't expect computer speakers to measure up to a receiver with even lower end speakers like the Omage 21s or something. I was just looking for a quick fix to get me through until some money could spring free for something more adequate. I want to use it for 80% MP3s and 20% DVD, and right now my Z560s are working "acceptably" in my bedroom system.

Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Some of us use analog power amps instead of a receiver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well no one doubts that computer speakers don't stand a chance against high end HT speakers but what about value? I am facing the same decision and am leaning towards computer speakers for the following reasons:

1. They're a lot cheaper. For $400 I can get some nice Klipsch computer speakers. How much would I have to spend on normal HT speakers to get something equivalent?

2. I wouldn't need a receiver. These get quite expensive. Plus everyone always recommends these $800 Harman Kandon or Denon receivers I can't afford!

3. I'm no audiophile and probably wouldn't notice a difference in quality anyways.

·
Registered
37 Posts
$400 is a pretty nice budget for a HT speaker system. If you buy the SKS-HT500 5.1 speakers from Onkyo's website, they're currently on sale for $200.00 (new). On top of that, shipping is free, and new members get $10.00 off.. thus totaling $190 for speakers and leaving you $210 for whatever amp or receiver you feel like buying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.