AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building my first HTPC, and have recently purchased an Xbox One which I just found out I can play TV through so long as I have an HDMI output for the X1's HDMI input. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to build an HTPC that has some sort of digital tuner (not sure even how this works and when I try to research it online all I find are products that supposedly do this for me) with a coaxial in so that I can connect my antenna and put HDMI out to my Xbox. I don't want to try to deal with a cablecard (since from what I hear those cost monthly fees plus a cable sub), and I want to try to avoid buying an excess STB. Basically I want to take what the Homeworx digital converter box can do and put that into the HTPC I'm planning on building.

I would also rather avoid the Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner which looks clunky.

If even possible, would this require two different HDMI outputs (one for the cable and one for all my other media)?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Currently, although this should probably be on the XBOX forum, the only way to directly tune as you want on the XBONE is through the Hauppauge tuner.

Next, not all cable companies charge for cable card. Verizon charges you $3 per month, but Comcast actually pays you to use one.

From what I have read, most XBONE users that try using the box for tuning TV or to be the passthru for programming, pull it back out and don't go back to it. You may want to ask about this on the XBOX forum some before you get too invested in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently, although this should probably be on the XBOX forum, the only way to directly tune as you want on the XBONE is through the Hauppauge tuner.

Next, not all cable companies charge for cable card. Verizon charges you $3 per month, but Comcast actually pays you to use one.

From what I have read, most XBONE users that try using the box for tuning TV or to be the passthru for programming, pull it back out and don't go back to it. You may want to ask about this on the XBOX forum some before you get too invested in it.
Thanks. From what I have read online, the Mediasonic Homeworx HW180STB does what I'm looking for, playing TV through the Xbox One. Like you said, many people seem to not be big fans of the digital tuner (supposedly the one available in the UK works great but isn't available here in the US), which is why I'm looking into my own means, especially if I can do it with the htpc I'm planning on building soon. The reason I posted it here is that I expect that few if anyone on the Xbox forums will know anything about an htpc (I didn't until a couple of weeks ago when I started researching it).

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Well, if you are looking at HTPC, I don't know why you need an XBone. Look at the Silicondust HDHomeRun tuners. I have 3 and love them. If you are doing antenna, look at the Extend. If you are doing cable, the Prime is for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts