AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Simple remote control of your HTPC and home theater devices from any web browser

I just put up the little control program I made for controlling my HTPC and some home theater devices.

The idea behind the program is you run it on your Windows HTPC and it lets you build simple web page remotes that let you control your setup via network commands. The web page remotes are formatted nicely to be used from a phone or tablet and work great when you add them to your home screen like a mobile web app.

It supports a few devices now, but I plan to add more based on what requests I get and if I can find the necessary documentation for that device in order to send network commands to it.

I hope some of you may find the program useful for your HTPC home theater setups.

Supported Devices
  • Windows PC (open and close programs) (anything you can do in a .bat script) (and much more)
  • Keyboard Hotkeys (control any program that supports keyboard control like Kodi, Plex, VLC and much more)
  • MPC-HC and MPC-BE
  • WinLIRC and LIRC
  • Belkin Wemo Smart Plug
  • Denon / Marantz AVRs
  • Yamaha AVRs
  • Emotiva AVRs
  • StormAudio ISP AVRs
  • JVC Projectors
  • BenQ Projectors
  • Oppo Disc Players
  • D-BOX HEMC
Project link is here:
nicko88/HTPCRemote

Latest Release: v1.3
Notes

• Added support for StormAudio ISP AVRs
  • Fixed small File Browser crash bugs
Download Latest Release Here (v1.3)

Previous Releases
Changelog
v1.2.1

• Command and remote editor usability improvements
  • Documentation link now opens in web browser (easier to keep open for reference)
v1.2
  • Added custom RemoteUI background and text color
  • Added media player selection to file browser
  • Added YouTube video launching support
  • Added YouTube searching support
v1.1.1
  • Fixed crash when editing button commands when HTPCRemoteDevices.txt settings file was not created yet.
v1.1
  • Added Yamaha AVR support
  • Added Oppo Disc Player Support
v1.0
  • This is the v1.0 release of HTPCRemote.
  • All current functionality is described in the documentation.
Main Screen:

Remote Editor:

Demo in action:

I am considering adding support for the following devices if there is any interest and you can help me test it:
  • Onkyo AVR
  • Integra AVR
  • Anthem AVR
  • Epson PJ
  • Sony PJ

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Great idea!

I would love to have it support JRiver MC.

Stay safe,

//arcspin

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

I am assuming it will already work with JRiver via hotkeys. There is no problem controlling Kodi, Plex, Media Player Classic, VLC, etc already.

If you can control JRiver with keyboard hotkeys then you can control it with HTPCRemote.

Try it and let us know if it’s working.

Don’t hesitate to ask if you are getting stuck. Nobody else has used this software before but me so I’m not sure how clear or easy I made it to understand and use.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Would this be able to control a Logitech Harmony Hub?

Other hardware considerations if at all possible, Marantz, Oppo 203, nVidia Shield TV, miniDSP 2x4HD,

This looks awesome, I will mess with it as soon as I can and if I end up using this, you will definitely get a donation from me. Would be nice to have an all in one solution for a change and not need to be flipping back and forth between programs.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would this be able to control a Logitech Harmony Hub?

Other hardware considerations if at all possible, Marantz, Oppo 203, nVidia Shield TV, miniDSP 2x4HD,

This looks awesome, I will mess with it as soon as I can and if I end up using this, you will definitely get a donation from me. Would be nice to have an all in one solution for a change and not need to be flipping back and forth between programs.
It already supports Marantz.

I have looked into nVidia shield but unfortunately that one is not going to be doable. nVidia's official remote app is proprietary and the only way for me to do it is a complicated way through the Android TV remote debugging mode.

I can look at Oppo and miniDSP. If I can find specs on their IP control I will send you a test program so you can be my tester to make sure they work before I add them to the main program.

I can look into harmony hub, but something tells me it might be complicated heh.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
oh by the way, I saw your signature line and I too am living the Home Theater in an Apartment life, and the work around that involves lol. ^^;;

Reactions: SirMaster

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
oh by the way, I saw your signature line and I too am living the Home Theater in an Apartment life, and the work around that involves lol. ^^;;
Can you try the Oppo device dropdown in my test program?

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTDeviceTester.zip

Just select oppo and put in the network IP and try the power on and off buttons.

The command list is here so you can try some other commands if you want.

http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP203/OPPO_UDP-20X_RS-232_and_IP_Control_Protocol.pdf

The commands on page 11 will start to use both the command and parameter text boxes.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Awesome, I will test it when I get off work. :)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi I retested your original build and it works fine. Previously I had put the IP in with an http, so once I removed that it worked fine. I also tried a custom command and that worked as well.
Re-download from here and also try the Yamaha again please.

https://nicko88.com/misc/HTDeviceTester.zip

The new build gives an error message:
Cannot setup connection for (IP):50000 Tcp
Value was either too large or too small for an Int16.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new build gives an error message:
Cannot setup connection for (IP):50000 Tcp
Value was either too large or too small for an Int16.
Oh, doy.

That's great it works.

I uploaded a new build again to fix the int16 error so the Yamaha should work again.

Anybody try the Oppo yet?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oh, doy.

That's great it works.

I uploaded a new build again to fix the int16 error so the Yamaha should work again.

Anybody try the Oppo yet?

Using the original build I can control the Oppo once it's on using power off or custom commands, but once it's off I can't turn it back on. Maybe this is a setting in the Oppo itself? I looked quickly but didn't see anything.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Using the original build I can control the Oppo once it's on using power off or custom commands, but once it's off I can't turn it back on. Maybe this is a setting in the Oppo itself? I looked quickly but didn't see anything.
Looks like this?

"the player must have “Quick Start” mode selected under Setup Menu / Device Setup / Standby Mode."

Just making sure, does the latest build if you re-download work with both the oppo and yamaha?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Looks like this?

"the player must have “Quick Start” mode selected under Setup Menu / Device Setup / Standby Mode."

Just making sure, does the latest build if you re-download work with both the oppo and yamaha?

Found it. 'Network Standby mode.'
So yes, both the Yamaha and Oppo are working with your app.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Found it. 'Network Standby mode.'
So yes, both the Yamaha and Oppo are working with your app.
OK cool thanks.

I already added Yamaha to the main code base.

I will probably add Oppo tonight and then publish a new release build.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts