AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found in the NV35 leaked specs. Leaked, aka heresay, aka no sure thing, but none the less it was just too tasty for me not to metnion.

"Microsoft Video Mixing Renderer (VMR) creates support for multiple video windows with full video quality and features in each window;

Will this allow for multiple overlays?! Is this the first step for multiple DScalers running on multiple tv cards? As it is, if i try running muliple programs which use overlays, the second one either closes out or crashes violently. Changing this would really bring a whole new depth to HTPC dreams.

The only other thing I ask for is video streaming on secondary video cards. What obstacles are in the way of that? All I've got are matrox millenium II's as supplemental video cards this baby, I cant tell if they wont play video streams because they're isnt enough bandwidth, because windows is stupid or because the card itself doesnt support it. Anyone have better luck with a pci geforce? And where the @!#[email protected] are pci-x and pci 66/64 video cards?

NV35. One more reason to await the ides of may (Matrix Reloaded being #1). Only a month away...

Matt

·
Registered
217 Posts
The problem is that Windows only supports overlay on the primary vidcard.

Also, most multi-head vidcards only support video on the primary monitor. The exception to this is the Matrox Parhelia.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The dual-head NVidia MX440 based cards can do overlay mirroring, though. That is, DScaler either in a window or fullscreen on the primary while being mirrored fullscreen on the secondary.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will doing away with the overlays allow for video on secondary teriatry and whatnot video cards?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like this alleged MS Video Mixer thingy could be the first step...

From this MS video mixer renderer link, i cant really discern whether its simply an application level mixer, or whether it can work across programs. Is this volume control for video, or is this just another way of making your program put video on the screen?

Is there anything interesting at all here? Or do we have to wait for longhorn? Any wagers on when that'll start rearing its ugly multi-headed self?

·
Registered
80 Posts
As far as I have seen, Matrox cards (except Parhelia) do not support true overlay on the secondary head.

DVDMax and Clone can circumvent this issue to some extent. In the case of the former, output to secondary head is fixed at 1024x768.

BTW, rumour has it that Matrox is releasing two lower cost/featured Parhelia derrivative cards. If the Dual-Head version supports true overlay, it could make for a sweet htpc card.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.