AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting a virus on my fresh new HTPC (once I build it in a week or two); this is a definite fear I have.



I was wondering this the other night. Should I install anti-virus on my Win 7 HTPC I am about to build? It is my first HTPC (EXCITING!) but I have no idea if I need protection for anti-virus, malware, spyware, etc. We will NOT be browsing on it. This rule has been heavily established, but there will be some Usenet access happening pretty constantly in the background... for... things... Is it better to be safe than sorry or will that software just cause my HTPC to be bogged down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
Install Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free and non-intrusive on Windows Media Center. If your PC has to connect to the internet for any reason whatsoever you should have an anti-virus program running. Some AV software, like Kaspersky, does a great job but tends to interfere with Media Center and constantly displays nag screens. You won't have this problem with MSE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will MSE work fine with XBMC as well? Does everyone on here tend to prefer WMC over XBMC? I hear talk of WMC much more it seems...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software#post_22140700


Will MSE work fine with XBMC as well? Does everyone on here tend to prefer WMC over XBMC? I hear talk of WMC much more it seems...

1. Yes,

2. About half the people on AVS use WMC in some form or fashion ( link ). If you want to use live TV its by far the best option currently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
I can say with certainty that if you never get a virus/malware on your HTPC the best way to go is with no AV software. If you do get one MSE will likely catch & remove it with $0 cost to you and a small footprint on the HTPC.


I currently run machines both with and without AV software.


How is that for a definitive direction for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
684 Posts
My strongest opinion is I WOULD NEVER run any computer that is hooked to the internet with out virus protection . With all the cheap or $0 cost choices out there today I think it is hap hazard to run with out one .


+1 for MSE ... I have also used Kasperski and it did a great job as well and very silent .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfhancock  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software/0_40#post_22140584


Getting a virus on my fresh new HTPC (once I build it in a week or two); this is a definite fear I have.

I was wondering this the other night. Should I install anti-virus on my Win 7 HTPC I am about to build? It is my first HTPC (EXCITING!) but I have no idea if I need protection for anti-virus, malware, spyware, etc. We will NOT be browsing on it. This rule has been heavily established, but there will be some Usenet access happening pretty constantly in the background... for... things... Is it better to be safe than sorry or will that software just cause my HTPC to be bogged down?
Do you really think Usenet and downloading is safer than browsing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
unless you are looking at some sketchy stuff like porn or stuff like that you do not need an AV. I have not used one in a long time, will run malwarebytes off a usb drive every now and then and other than picking up cookies it always comes out clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
If you will be on the internet for anything anti-virus is a must. I also like MSE, I have also used avast home and liked it also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts
I've used MSE. Seems fine. But personally I like Norton Internet Security and find it completely inobtrusive running in the background. I run NIS and Windows Defender on all of my pcs (well, actually, I use Norton 360 on my wife's pc and laptops.)


I usually find Norton Internet Security 3-pc pack for around $19, and when I do, I buy several. It doesn't matter if you stock up because if you install, for example, 2010 you can immediately upgrade it to 2012.


I think a lot of people who don't like Norton are thinking of 5 years or more ago when it used to be bloated and a resource hog. It's really very good now and regularly wins "editors pick" in virus program reviews.


It runs on my htpc and I've never had it interfere with anything I was doing. Recording, playback or anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software#post_22142497


I've used MSE. Seems fine. But personally I like Norton Internet Security and find it completely inobtrusive running in the background. I run NIS and Windows Defender on all of my pcs (well, actually, I use Norton 360 on my wife's pc and laptops.)

I usually find Norton Internet Security 3-pc pack for around $19, and when I do, I buy several. It doesn't matter if you stock up because if you install, for example, 2010 you can immediately upgrade it to 2012.

I think a lot of people who don't like Norton are thinking of 5 years or more ago when it used to be bloated and a resource hog. It's really very good now and regularly wins "editors pick" in virus program reviews.

It runs on my htpc and I've never had it interfere with anything I was doing. Recording, playback or anything else.

But is it better than free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software#post_22142501


But is it better than free?

Valid question. Obviously cheap is still more than free.


It's just one of those things that if I've used something and it's worked and I haven't had any problems, then I tend to keep using it.


If they stopped making it tomorrow, (or started charging $50/pc/year or something), I'd use MSE next. I think MSE is a fine choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software#post_22142514


Valid question. Obviously cheap is still more than free.

It's just one of those things that if I've used something and it's worked and I haven't had any problems, then I tend to keep using it.

If they stopped making it tomorrow, (or started charging $50/pc/year or something), I'd use MSE next. I think MSE is a fine choice.

The last two times I bought NIS it was free after rebates, and this was for 3 computers. This was from Fry's & they have this sale every so often.


I've used different programs over the years. My HP desktop came with NIS so it was real easy to buy & activate a new subscription, especially for free. And that came packaged with Norton Ghost. This year I also got the 3 PC upgrade for free & just put one on the HTPC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,951 Posts
MSE is built into Windows 8 as Windows Defender so it's going to be around for a long, long time. It's free, just use it.


Also download Malwarebytes and run it once a month just to make sure you don't have anything MSE didn't catch. It's about a 3 minute scan on my system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,969 Posts
The problem with Norton or Kaspersky or any other AV software is that you have to buy a license that's only good for a year. While it's true that you can usually get a copy of most major AV programs for free, it usually means you have to deal with rebates. You also have to renew it after a year and go through the whole process again. MSE is free and never requires renewal.


FYI - No anti-virus software will detect and remove 100% of the viruses out there. Norton may pick up something that Kaspersky misses and vice versa. MSE does as good a job as any AV program I've used, and it doesn't carry any of the baggage associated with a commercial AV program. There's really no point in going with something else unless you like the hassles that go along with it. There are a lot of good AV programs out there, but in the end they're really no better than MSE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020  /t/1416123/htpcs-and-antivirus-software#post_22142497


I've used MSE. Seems fine. But personally I like Norton Internet Security and find it completely inobtrusive running in the background. I run NIS and Windows Defender on all of my pcs (well, actually, I use Norton 360 on my wife's pc and laptops.)

I usually find Norton Internet Security 3-pc pack for around $19, and when I do, I buy several. It doesn't matter if you stock up because if you install, for example, 2010 you can immediately upgrade it to 2012.

I think a lot of people who don't like Norton are thinking of 5 years or more ago when it used to be bloated and a resource hog. It's really very good now and regularly wins "editors pick" in virus program reviews.

It runs on my htpc and I've never had it interfere with anything I was doing. Recording, playback or anything else.

Once in a while I notice my HTPC is not in the sleep mode. I check it out & there is no reason for it not to be. However sometimes I look at Norton NIS and see that it just finished updating a few minutes ago. Would an automatic Norton update kick it out of sleep mode? Or could it be the WMC guide getting an update?
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top