AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The recently released NMTs as well as the Realtek based media streamers like Xtreamer proclaim DTS-HD and TrueHD bitstreaming (by suggesting that the sound output be set to HDMI RAW instead of SPDIF RAW) from their box to the AV Receiver. I am interested in identifying why HTPCs can not do the same thing.

Yes, I have read about PAP and all the related DRM stuff. However, people who backup their HD collections do so usually in MKV format where the tracks are stripped off their protection (AACS or whatever). Why would a non-protected lossless audio track be prevented from getting bitstreamed. The PAP specs seems to indicate some sort of AES engine for 'HDCP' processing of the audio data, but this should be rendered moot for non-encrypted lossless audio streams, right?

I would be interested in getting to know any further insights / information / opinion regarding this aspect from the fellow learned members!

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
its all about piracy...even if you can't understand why, its all about piracy and digital rights...it always will be.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, Thanks for the reply. My question then, would be:

How can the NMTs or the PlayOnHD or the Xtreamer achieve this?

They are all used to playback media files from the hard drive (and HD files are mostly in MKV containers)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.